LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Direction on a LT1 C10 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013 | 07:46 PM
Teching In

Default Need Direction on a LT1 C10 build

I had been gathering parts for my 97 Z28 but I got a smoking deal I couldnt pass up on a 2001 WS6. The 97 is now my wife's toy as she loves that car. I need help determining what direction to go with my 84 SWB C10 build and was hoping you guys might help me make my mind up. I have been reading on all the forums all day long gathering ingo and I am a little overwhelmed. I have a few options for the C10...see below

1. I have a complete BB402 that I was planning on puting back in the c10. It is a Solid Lift 402 with VicJr Mighty Demon carb and stock bottom end. It needs to be cleaned up, parts power coated and crank turned to be looking good and running top notch again. It is mounted to a trans king manual VB TH350 TCI 10 inch convertor. According to desktop dyno 537fwhp...not sure how accurate it is.

2. My SR E85 383 13:9:1 (with cometic .040) LT1 build. See below for parts
Block built by Daryl White Revolutionary Perf.
Block - half filled with hard block, splayed caps, main studs
crank - Lunati 4340 internally balanced
Balancer- ATI superdamper
rods - Eagle 6 inch H beam
pistons - CP dome measure 13.9:1 compression
cam1 - 252/264@.050 with .670/.670 lift 114 LS. Ground with 4 deg adv
cam2 - 248/254@.050 616/622 110LS
timing set - large link vortec style
lifters - Crower SD
heads - AFR 227 65cc
rockers - T&D 1.6 ratio shaft rockers
Kevco oil pan
ASM Monoblade
Arons Sheetmetal elbow
90lb injectors
Built to hold a 400shot
Built Manual VB TH350 with PTC Nitrous Convertor
Vic E Single Plane

3. I have another splayed 4bolt block with JE pistons that I need a crank and rods for. I was doing a 396 LT1 build but changed my mind and went above route. I could finish and use one of the above cams, heads and intake. The compression on it would be 11:5:1ish.

I have E85 readily availabe in my location so I am not concerned on that.

Issue number 2 is what the heck do I use...Opti, 24x, Vortec Distributor and 0411 ECM, or Carb and Dist. Cam #1 will be pretty high reving so I am sure that 24x will be the way to go with it. I currently do not have a extra Opti which makes the 24x or Vortec Dist route seem a little more inviting.

The C10 will be a street/show cruiser built to handle the track. It is being backhalved and has a narrowed9 inch, body dropped on 22s. I like being different so I am leaning towards sticking with LT1. What you guys think about my options, which route would you choose? I even thought about selling it all and putting a 12valve cummins in it...like I said different. I am not the best a typing out my thoughts so I am sorry if there is lots of gray area. Give me some comments and I will do my best to clarify. Input is highly appreciated. I have been researching different EFI routes the past couple days and am just a little frustrated.
Old 01-30-2013 | 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

That sounds like a Stout LT1! Honestly go with whichever would be easier for you. It sounds like youd have to put a good ammount of money into either setup to have it be 100% for the swap anyway. Flip a coin? Lol If its going to be a street show cruiser you also dont even need to bother staying fuel injected. Unless your looking for the tunability and driveability of a fuel injection setup. Crunch some numbers and see which will be the less expensive and make a plan off that.
Old 01-31-2013 | 06:52 AM
Teching In

I really think I want to keep the fuel injection it just makes sense. Those E85 carbs are pretty dang pricey....$700 up to $1200 plus all of the other goodies that go along with it....even having my mighty demon worked over to E85 isnt cheap. I figure I can get rid off the stuff that I dont use on the build and it will fund almost all of the LT1 swap. I just think it will be badass to look under the hood and see a E85 SR Lt1 in a 84 C10.

I guess my next question would be is the 24X the way to go for me or is there another way that I am not thinking about? Being that it is going in a c10 is the wiring harness the only part that will change? Will the Vortec Dizzy with 0411 ECM be a good fit?
Old 01-31-2013 | 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I loved my LT1 powered C10 personally... the engine mounts bolt right on, the wiring was pretty easy and the return style fuel system was easy to hook up. I have some pics if you would like, it was a bolt-on engine, but it ran pretty damn well. I would run right with my buddies TBSS (which had a tuner, CAI, muffler deleted) that thing would haul the mail with your engine combo.
Old 01-31-2013 | 09:55 AM
Teching In

95blackm6, i would like some pics if you have a chance. You can send to my email rustykey@hotmail.com when you have time.

Quick Reply: Need Direction on a LT1 C10 build