LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1.6 RR setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 RR setup

I am looking for advice on the best COMPLETE kit for a 1.6 RR set-up.Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you in advance. Mike(1995 z28 LT1)
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My answer to that would be piecing it together yourself. Comp pro mags , with the right springs,( in the past when stock I used the CC987 springs with CC titanium retainers with good results.) with Viton seals These are Qualiity parts that are not Cheap. Just my experience. Shortcuts usually cost more in the long run.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought Comp stopped making the ProMagnums? Replaced them with the Ultra ProMagnums which are a new design.
It would be pretty figgin stupid to buy fancy springs for a stock cam setup because with aftermarket cams springs are a maintenance item so if you later do a cam you need to do springs with it. Not only so they match the cam but so they are new and fresh rather than half worn out.
A reasonable intelligent person would say to run something cheap and sufficient like the stock LT4 springs which are a very nice match to a stock cam with 1.6s.

I would consider 7/16" studs and guideplates so you have room to grow there. Like I said though springs become a wear item with aftermarket cams so the "overkill for now" principle does not apply to that part of this project.

Far as a nice kit for just springs and rockers I don't know of any. You could cal a vendor and talk to them but if you call someone like Summit you will just get someone else reading the catalog to you and wont likely get a really good setup. If you go the "let a vendor spec it" route call someone LT1 specific.

Also cheap titanium in particular can be considered a wear item so I wouldn't bother with that on a stock cam either. titanium can be a fickle material and a simple scratch can become a crack. Not saying titanium is a bad material for retainers. I just wouldn't bother with it now. A $35 set of LT4 springs will fit stock retainers and be a great match for now.

Quick Reply: 1.6 RR setup