LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 383 stroker

Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some other things I am factoring in are the fact my car is a convertible and Im not sure how crazy I could go without twisting anything and if a 383 is a more expensive or less reliable way to go then what else could I do. The car is down right now and I dont need to to daily drive so time isnt an issue which is what brought me here to plan and find ways other people had done things and where they went wrong so I dont do the same. I do want something that is still comfortable to go cruise around town with and will be reliable but will also turn a few heads along the way. Again this is my first build so I dont want frankenstein or a record breaker just something I can say I built and would be comfortable putting my name behind
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TAdroptop
Some other things I am factoring in are the fact my car is a convertible and Im not sure how crazy I could go without twisting anything and if a 383 is a more expensive or less reliable way to go then what else could I do. The car is down right now and I dont need to to daily drive so time isnt an issue which is what brought me here to plan and find ways other people had done things and where they went wrong so I dont do the same. I do want something that is still comfortable to go cruise around town with and will be reliable but will also turn a few heads along the way. Again this is my first build so I dont want frankenstein or a record breaker just something I can say I built and would be comfortable putting my name behind
What's wrong with the car? I would maybe just do a fresh rebuild with some good pistons and a heads and cam package from Advanced Inductions. That would net you 400+ HP and be plenty of get up for what you're looking for. It seems like you just want a crusier with some power?

All I can say like the rest is search search search on here and you will get the info you need. This stuff has been done over and over. Just research and when you have the means, go to town!!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM

I havent taken the block anywhere to get checked yet but i know the head gasket went and due to it taking so long to come up with the money the cylinder walls are rusted. I bought the lt4 heads as an upgrade to stock but could always sell and buy new ones. Honestly a cruiser with some power really is what Im looking for and I realize now especially that a 383 probably isnt the best way to go. I wanted to do my own build and not just buy a kit mostly just for myself even though you can get plenty of power and reliability out of one that has already been tested
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as the rust is just surface, a 0.030 over bore would clean that up. I would sell the LT4s and send Advanced Inductions your stock heads and intake for porting and get their cam. Then do a rebuild with stock crank and some good pistons. You could upgrade the rods to but its not entirely necessary. The stock crank can handle a lot.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Launching!

I agree, a nice 355, AI or LE worked heads, and matching cam, springs and rockers. Keep the compression high. Spend some of the saved money on exhaust, driveline and chassis. Enjoy!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM

I believe the rust is just surface since nothing looked pitted or anything too major. I was planning on putting headers on and changing the stock muffler to a magnaflow i had on a previous car and I know the tranny is still good for stock concerns anyway. I dont know how much the stock t56 can handle it has about 130,000 on it. Maybe just a freshen up would do. Just curious why should I get rid of the lt4 heads? Is it just a money saving option or is there a downfall to them?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96TAdroptop
I believe the rust is just surface since nothing looked pitted or anything too major. I was planning on putting headers on and changing the stock muffler to a magnaflow i had on a previous car and I know the tranny is still good for stock concerns anyway. I dont know how much the stock t56 can handle it has about 130,000 on it. Maybe just a freshen up would do. Just curious why should I get rid of the lt4 heads? Is it just a money saving option or is there a downfall to them?
The t-56 can handle 450 ft/lbs torque. A freshen up wouldn't hurt but not necessary unless its giving you problems. The LT4 heads are good but you have to buy an LT4 intake to match the heads so there's more money wasted. Just sell them and use your stock stuff.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM

ok thats good to know because I had been told they would bolt right on. Thanks for all the info this has really helped out
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The idea that the LT4 intake is very different is wrong, internally it is the same as the LT1 intake, just the head ports are taller and it makes for a thin sealing margin at the top of the port if used with an LT1 intake.
The LT4 heads are a lot better in theory than they are in the real world.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you need a setup like my old 355.........it was stock crank and rods with cheap speed pro forged pistons......had a set of out of the box trick flows (which id just have AI port the stockers instead) and an AI 234/242 .600 cam, i shifted it at 6800 and it ran perfect for 4 years before i tore it down to build this motor i have now.....it was a cheap motor i was just out of high school at the time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 383 stroker