LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it??

Ok, little backstory on my 95 bird:
Running great, no issues whatsoever around 100K miles on motor. Started overheating one night, only happened for a minute and was good to run 10mins later, started seeing quite a bit of white smoke the next week so took her in to check it out. Couldn't see any external leaks of the head, tried to start it the next day and no turn of the motor and pretty sure busted the starter since its locked(I know I need to pull the plugs to clear it and see if it turns). The oil was muddy looking in the cap and im worried its too far gone without a full rebuild.

Now the question, If it does turn after I remove the plugs and tear out the top end to replace the heads and gaskets, what are the other things to look for that are common with LT1s? Think its even worth it or to go for a full swap since im dropping it out anyways? Hard to tell with nothing to go on, chances the block might be cracked?

I know some of this is quite vague and I apologize, but I was going to start tearing it down tomorrow if its worth it, figured I would ask some questions and get some advice as its the first full tear down of an LT1 for me.

thanks for any replies!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket and fill a cylinder with coolant....then try to start it and hydralocked the engine. Could have bent a rod. Maybe the cylinder is still filled with coolant as it would have sucked in a full load of coolant on the downstroke.....

Pulling the plugs will tell if that happened......if coolant pours out that will be a bad sign.

Quick Reply: Worth it??