LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another header thread?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another header thread?

Hey guys I been looking into getting headers for my 95 formula. I am kinda leaning toward these summitracing.com/parts/psm-70-1335
They seem to fit both budget and being able to use the o2s where they are and also the egr seems to remain. Right now engine is basically stock except cold air, flowmaster catback, and accel injectors( still 24lbs) and MSD coil Taylor wires. Just basic starting things. Also have 3.73 gears. In the future I will probably get the le2 headwork and get a cam from him also. (Probably income tax next year) will these headers be friendly with these mods or should I go with a true long tube? And if I should whats a good set as far as price ease of install(I get its not gonna be fun) and power?
Thanks guys
Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pacesetters best for the buck. If you can, go LT and ditch the emission crap, and why are you running accel injectors?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Launching!

I had a real bad issue with all kinds of crud in my fuel system had to replace everything. Tank whole way to injectors. And I was in a bit of a hurry and couldn't get and exact answer what ford svu injectors I needed to keep stock tune. (Already had almost 1000 in parts couldnt really afford to do the tune at the time i was redoing everything else)So I got the accels they seem to work real good. But I have only had em about a month

Last edited by ugod02010; 06-04-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Add stuff
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Launching!

You could get Pacesetter long tubes $50 cheaper than that brand new on eBay from the pacesetter vendor on there. Unless they changed since I bought mine in january
Old 06-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Launching!

True but then add 150 for the y pipe. Which is a pretty decent price. They r what I had on my 355 in my white one in the sigpic. Just really seems like those full lt's would be terrible trying to put in. How bad are they? And did you have to relocate the o2s or do they have the hole for them on the header itself

Just found a set that has the air setup. I still don't see a spot for the o2s?
I prob gonna get rid of emissions stuff anyway all we need is a visible cat. But just incase. Just really wondering about getting those big *** pipes into that tiny engine bay
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Just dump the emissions for a little bit more room. Just bring the headers through the top after you remove that stuff, or try the bottom, but I'd have some spare wires on hand just in case.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VAformula
Just dump the emissions for a little bit more room. Just bring the headers through the top after you remove that stuff, or try the bottom, but I'd have some spare wires on hand just in case.
I was thinking that about the emissions w/out those damn egr pipes running everywhere and ditching the pump I could definitely use that space. Hell those pipes are always always right in the way. Thinking probably gonna go with the lt's. is the performance wise are they really that much better than the mids? Just asking since those mids look like they would be so much easier installing. Qnyone actually tried the mids vs long tubes. Or seen the actual numbers
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
I was thinking that about the emissions w/out those damn egr pipes running everywhere and ditching the pump I could definitely use that space. Hell those pipes are always always right in the way. Thinking probably gonna go with the lt's. is the performance wise are they really that much better than the mids? Just asking since those mids look like they would be so much easier installing. Qnyone actually tried the mids vs long tubes. Or seen the actual numbers
I've heard people say some mids are as good as longtubes. I find that to be hard to believe. The whole point of longtubes is to create more power than mids. I think if mids made just as much power consistently, everyone would know by now.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

My longtubes were easy to put in, just have to be patient. I spent under 400 shipped for my headers and Y from amazon no less. Granted I had my motor out and set the drivers side in before the motor, the pass side slipped right in and fit great! My y pipe rattles now as I'm missing an exhaust hanger but thats my fault.

Get the pacesetter race styles and don't look back, well worth it! Just very very very loud with an SLP LM2 lmao
Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Guess they don't call it loudmouth 4 nothin. On the race styles are the o2 hookups need to be moved, or do the stock wires reach? I like the sound of the flowmaster 40series on my car now but when it's revved high and I let off it kinda droans a bit hoping headers will help. That and power gains are always a plus
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it kinda droans a bit hoping headers will help.
no it won't, if you don't like it you'll have to change the muffler
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

The o2's won't reach either, you will need to spend the 40 bucks on extensions.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Launching!

kinda figured i was gonna have to buy those extensions w/the longtubes. Down the road I am going to get le2 headwork and a cam from him. If i go the cheaper route now with the midtubes will I really choke the heads and cam or am I only looking at a 5-7hp difference between the two?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Launching!

now if the longtubes are gonna be worth 10 or so over the mids once the other work is done then I have no choice. I read somewhere that the shorties and mids aren't really much better than factory exhaust manifolds? Don't really see how those manifolds look terribly restrictive to me.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Launching!

now if the longtubes are gonna be worth 10 or so over the mids once the other work is done then I have no choice. I read somewhere that the shorties and mids aren't really much better than factory exhaust manifolds? Don't really see how those manifolds look terribly restrictive to me.
It's not that they aren't that much better.

It's the fact that while you're spending the money and replacing your headers and doing all this work, its a go big or go home type of deal.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

The stock manifolds are very restrictive,I ran the stock manifolds and TB on my stroker thinking the same thing as you.. this winter i put pacesetter LTs and twin 58 mm and had it retuned noticed 35rwhp diff.. Put a good set of longtubes on it and off road y-pipe and be done with it. I have no problems with mine at all when properly installed. sounds good too
Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tom94TA
If you could find some used single cat SLP mids or AS&M mids, both are 1 3/4 tubes, they work almost as good as long tubes with better ground clearance. I would say all new mid length headers for LT1s available now are 1 5/8 tubes and long tubes will definitely make more power than those.
My camaro has the eibach lowering springs i think 1.750 drop and i have longtubes with no ground clearance problems..
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Get some of of the stainless Kooks clones.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

LPP has a deal right now they need ppl to test their headers 500 shipped for stainless header and Y pipe... I'd jump right on that had i not picked up my pacestters a while ago.

Quick Reply: Another header thread?