LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best combo for 400rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
If you didn't want advice why post? If you are so sure you have the right parts go ahead with your stock compression, dyno queen cam and as cast heads and be happy with your high 11 second car that drives like ****.

Sure, get em ported by LE for max flow, but you still need to deal with your low compression.
While the heads are off, get some smaller head gaskets and see maybe LE could lower your chamber cc while he has them.

Also, that cam is a magazine cam like Caprice said, maybe talk to LE about getting his cam too while you're getting your heads done, then sell your current cam and come out close to even? His cams are much better than a off the shelf grind.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
......what will raise my compression.....
Originally Posted by KW Baraka
.......Also.....if you send the heads out for port work, have them mill the heads for about a 50cc combustion chamber.....and then use head gaskets with a compressed thickness of .026" to .030".......
A post subsequent to mine stated that the TF heads can only be milled to about a 58cc combustion chamber. But this (milling the heads) along with a thinner head gasket will raise your compression ratio.

And then.....you want to have a cam that's spec'ed to that compression ratio.....AND.....your drivetrain.

Both, LE and AI can do this job for ya.

KW
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VAformula
......His cams are much better than a off the shelf grind.
Speaking of Lloyd Elliot.....it's not so much that his cams are 'better' (he mostly uses Comp Cams grinds if my sources are correct) as it is their being tailored to your setup.....something that just can't happen with an off-the-shelf cam.

Hell.....you can look at four or five LE2 HC setups.....and the cam will be different in each one.

Why?

Because each car may have different bottom ends in the engine.....or have different gears in the pumpkins.....or have different trannies.....or the cars could be different weights.....or all of the above.

As stated.....Lloyd Elliot and AI will tailor the cam spec's to your car & setup.

KW
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I used a GM847 cam with my current Lingenfelter LT4 heads on a combo I had before this engine and it made 399.9rwhp at 6000rpm before I had valve float. Probably would have been a few hp over if it would've gone to peak. So, if you want 400rwhp almost on the button- LPE heads and GM847 cam. Car ran 12.2's @ 114 with 3.73 gears which were crap. 5th and 6th gears were basically useless and the driveablity sucked as well. Make sure gears are taken into consideration when stepping up to a more aggressive cam.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Speaking of Lloyd Elliot.....it's not so much that his cams are 'better' (he mostly uses Comp Cams grinds if my sources are correct) as it is their being tailored to your setup.....something that just can't happen with an off-the-shelf cam.

Hell.....you can look at four or five LE2 HC setups.....and the cam will be different in each one.

Why?

Because each car may have different bottom ends in the engine.....or have different gears in the pumpkins.....or have different trannies.....or the cars could be different weights.....or all of the above.

As stated.....Lloyd Elliot and AI will tailor the cam spec's to your car & setup.

KW
Sorry, to me "being tailored to your setup" for the near the same price as an off the shelf cam is "better"

I think the whole point of a "better" cam is one that is better tailored to your setup? I've never heard of a camshaft not being strong enough, etc?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your definately going to want to have a custom tune before running that setup on a dyno. No big deal I think you got the right parts to get the job done.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, to me "being tailored to your setup" for the near the same price as an off the shelf cam is "better".....
OK.

.....I've never heard of a camshaft not being strong enough, etc?
If that was directed to me.....I have no idea what you're referring to.

KW
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

My car runs great for a lowly street stock car, never dynoed it but it runs the same times as SSSRR ran with 399 hp, and id guess i only have maybe 315 to the tire. It's about selecting the right parts and realizing that salesman don't give a **** about anything but your money, doing your research on a trickflow site or afr site is stupid. And magazines or tv shows or sometimes even builders get the parts they are testing for free in agreement to write something nice.

What cc are your heads? Lets start there.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

......What cc are your heads? Lets start there.
Well....if his heads have NOT been worked, they should be 62cc.....same as B-body iron heads.

KW
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Well....if his heads have NOT been worked, they should be 62cc.....same as B-body iron heads.

KW
Summit shows they have 55 or 62. If they are 62 you are pretty much fucked, as you can't (shouldn't) just bolt them on.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Summit shows they have 55 or 62......
You are very correct!

TFS-30400010-S = 55cc

TFS-30400010 = 62cc

The fortunate enthusiast would have the 55cc heads. Those can be pretty easily worked....

KW
Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summit shows they have 55 or 62. If they are 62 you are pretty much fucked, as you can't (shouldn't) just bolt them on.
I have the 55cc. So what should the next step be? would I be OK on the stock intake, or search for a LT4 intake???
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 55cc. So what should the next step be? would I be OK on the stock intake, or search for a LT4 intake???
The LT4 intake isn't worth dick but -$500.....The stock LT1 intake is good for 500+ HP, a ported LT1 intake may be worth looking into, especially if your running a big 58mm TB. They sell them on eBay nice and repainted ready to go for $150-200....maybe worth 5-10 HP is my guess over stock, probably a lot more with a 58mm TB
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

I have the 55cc.
So what should the next step be?
would I be OK on the stock intake, or search for a LT4 intake???
Those heads are LT1 heads. Therefore.....you want to use the LT1 intake.

NOTE: The LT4 Intake is NOT an upgrade over the LT1 Intake. It's a piece of hardware that is specifically made for use with LT4 heads.....nothing more. So.....keep your stock intake!

Next step would be to get the heads mildly ported......and milled so that the combustion chambers come in as close as possible to about 50-51cc's. Larger valves are not needed, either.

KW

Quick Reply: Best combo for 400rwhp?