LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any clearance issues with a cc306 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any clearance issues with a cc306 cam?

I have access to a new cc306 cam for cheap and I was wondering if there would be any clearance problems with a bone stock LT1 in my Firebird Formula?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You mean piston to valve clearance issues? Almost never an issue with stock shortblock LT1s, the few cases I have seen tended to be cams spec'd by folks who thought they knew more than they really did and had the valve events screwed up. LT1 pistons in stock form are usually .025+ down in the hole. You probably grew concerned about this because you know gen 3+ motors have to watch out for this a LOT, but it isn't much of a concern on stock shortblock LT1s.

Are you aware of the characteristics of that cam and the substantial amount of supporting mods needed?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Launching!

I don't know a lot about it, myself, but a friend is going to be doing the installation. I trust he knows what he's doing but any more info on the extra mods would be a big help just in case he forgets something.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bow Tie Power
I don't know a lot about it, myself, but a friend is going to be doing the installation. I trust he knows what he's doing but any more info on the extra mods would be a big help just in case he forgets something.
Please tell me you have better valve springs, measured for pushrod length, Headers, CAI, a stall (If auto), possibly gears, and a tuning session prepared for this also?

Don't expect that car to perform without the above mentioned items.

You should fill out your Sig so we know more details about your car.

Auto or Manual?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Please tell me you have better valve springs, measured for pushrod length, Headers, CAI, a stall (If auto), possibly gears, and a tuning session prepared for this also?

Don't expect that car to perform without the above mentioned items.

You should fill out your Sig so we know more details about your car.

Auto or Manual?
he said bone stock

He will have to measure pushrod length and get hardened pushrods of the correct length. will also need valve springs and a tune just to get it running.

Quick Reply: Any clearance issues with a cc306 cam?