LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark!!!?!!?!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark!!!?!!?!!!?

Hey guys. I am having another issue. The car 95 formula- 94 engine(Pontiac) okay so I had it running great for about 2mo. After replacing my entire fuel delivery system. Also change the opti a few months ago(thought it was the problem b4 finding all kinds of buildup in the fuel system) the opti I used was a 90$ eBay special. Looked just like the one I took off so it must have been already replaced since I didn't see the Mitsubishi emblem on the optical sensor. Anyways car has run great. Better than ever up till yesterday I had a long drive about an hr hr and a half. Coming home I got on it a bit as the motor revved once it got high up in the Rpms it started to breakup. Sounded like spark was going crazy. (About 5k) revs. I babied it the rest of the way back every time the revs would start to climb it would almost sound like the motor would cutoff. Let it cool overnight checked obvious things(plug wires ect). Today it seemed okay when cool but I went and got on the highway and after 1min of speed I jumped on it and it just turned off no noise just stopped does this sound like a bad opti.?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Also scanned for codes and was looking at datamaster and everything seems in order
Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you locktite the rotor screws when you installed it?
Did you verify a no spark situation?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Did you locktite the rotor screws when you installed it?
Did you verify a no spark situation?
I did locktite the screws! That's what I think killed the last one I opened it and rotor was just chillin. The thing about the no spark is its kinda intermittent so how would I check since it seems like it really only dies when the revs start climbing. 3000+
Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hard to say without seeing the car. If the optical sensor I would expect to see a low resolution code, or corrupt low resolution data on the scanner when it acts up.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The rotor was just chillin'? What does that mean? Is there a code for that? I checked the factory service manual, but General Motors appears to have overlooked that condition.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Haha. Yep it on page smartass in the glossary. It was just sitting inside the cap when I took the cap off it fell onto the floor. Anyways I just started the cr and took it for a spin its been sitting all day. And ran fine. But I'm sure if I ran it for another ten minutes or so it would act up
Old 07-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Okay so I tried letting it sit for a good ten min and went around the block a couple times and now it seems okay. Down a bit on power tho. Not terrible but not how it was running. If I have a shitty opti would it cause intermittent problems like this. I don't really wanna go back to the highway to see if it shuts down again cuz I don't wanna have to get it towed. Everything in tunerpro seems spot on. Lterms are right around 128 most of time and sterns are steady at 128. Spark advance responds with the throttle. Seems to me really like the spark just quits the way it sounds when it does act up. Also after t stalls it takes a little bit to start. And it doesn't sound at all like its trying to start just shuts down
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Launching!

I have a good video of it cutting out from inside the car I had the camera on the dash right as the revs hit about 3000 I'm cruising about 60 it just drops completely it really looks like I just shut the key off. The video is a bit to big I think to load onto YouTube. Sound like the opti or icm?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ugod02010
I have a good video of it cutting out from inside the car I had the camera on the dash right as the revs hit about 3000 I'm cruising about 60 it just drops completely it really looks like I just shut the key off. The video is a bit to big I think to load onto YouTube. Sound like the opti or icm?
I watched the video several times checking oil pressure and everything its going fine till I put the pedal o. The floor. It goes from1500-1700 on up steady till about 2500 and the. Just drops down to nothing.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I watched the video several times checking oil pressure and everything its going fine till I put the pedal o. The floor. It goes from1500-1700 on up steady till about 2500 and the. Just drops down to nothing.
http://youtu.be/G-sllcXsz68
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Launching!

http://youtu.be/G-sllcXsz68
Does this help? I am thinking icm. But the eBay special opti has me worried. It seemed good quality, but I've heard so many problems with them
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Think i wilI let the car warm up and when it starts acting up put some ice on the icm to cool it down. Then try again quick b4 it heats back up and see if it stops. I have a icm ordered from autozone so ill try the ice tonite.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Launching!

okay so i stopped at autozone to pick up the new icm... I asked to see it just to make sure it was the correct one. I open the box and am looking at it and theres a GM logo staring me in the face. I asked the guy he said no they dont actually sell the oem...So apparently someone bought the icm took theirs and put it back and took it back!!!! WTF (good idea i guess but now I am fucked into paying full price for one)Since i have a 15%off coupon..
So after all that i decided to try the ice idea. I ran the car for about 15minutes ran great to begin with then after about 10-15min when I really start getting onto it it will spit and sputter but really only when it gets up into the rpm range. Hurried home and stuck some ice on the icm and ran it again and for a few min(guessing till it heated back up it ran good.) This sound like the ICM or will the opti act up when its warm and run okay when its cold? Also there isn't a store that can check my ICM already tried that
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

okay so i stopped at autozone to pick up the new icm... I asked to see it just to make sure it was the correct one. I open the box and am looking at it and theres a GM logo staring me in the face. I asked the guy he said no they dont actually sell the oem...So apparently someone bought the icm took theirs and put it back and took it back!!!! WTF
This won't help you with your problem, but it's a "heads up" for people, to check your parts before you leave the store...I work for one of the other big box parts stores, and there has been an epidemic of this kind of behavior lately. Just yesterday, we get a call from a shop that has a wholesale account with us. We had just delivered a set of 8 spark plugs to them, they opened the plug boxes, and there were used plugs in there. Somebody had CAREFULLY opened both the large box, as well as the 8 individual boxes, removed the new plugs, and slipped their old ones back in the boxes, brought them back, and got a refund, as "they didn't need them after all".....

We've seen it with brake rotors too. Some people are just scum!!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to say. i had the same problem with a optispark from ebay.
Mine did the same symptom yours is doing on the video.
I had replaced Opti twice and just had enough of this. So i finally went ahead and purchased a GM Performance from summitracing. Save your self and buy the ACDelco or Delphi Opti. I also went ahead and did the LTCC Kit conversion and its been 4 months and its running like a champ.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Launching!

You definitely wanna check what you buy. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember most of the guys at the parts store know me, but the occasional new kid will stand there with his mouth hanging open while I tear open a box to check and make sure it's what I need/not something returned previously. But anyways I am gonna wait till summit gets me the new icm and try it I really am not looking forward to tearing the opti back off again. This will be the third time in 6months having the car. But if I do need an opti I think I will probably go with the MSD so I don't have any more problems. Although autozones new opti is quite tempting since its half the price and has a lifetime warranty. I will keep everyone posted. I hate reading threads that have no solution just the problems!!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using an autozone reman. I know bad idea, but its still got the lifetime warranty. I'll be picking up the third one tomorrow and its only been a month. First did the same as the original, second wont even start the car. We'll see what the third has in store for me. But te good news is, the manager at my local AZ is giving me new water pump gaskets under warranty this time! Can't complain about that part I guess.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Launching!

i buy alot of stuff from autozone. they don't give me **** when i return stuff like advance does.! Anyways today i got the Correct ICM installed it and it seems to running better it's not shutting off anymore but it's down a bit on power not terrible but not how it usually runs.. Also If I really jump on it it is still breaking up when I get up into the 4500-5000 rpms. almost seems like it doesn't wanna shift also. I noticd a while ago also that usually when its cold it makes a noise like a squeeking almost sounds like a chipmunk or something. just a real quick high pitch chirping. not sure if this has anything to do with it or if my belts just making some noise... So anyone have any ideas what to try next. Maybe when the ICM took a dump it killed my MSD COIL its a red street fighter.? Anyone any ideas or sound like the opti and i wasted my 100$ on the ICM
Also had datamaster running everything looks normal no extreme % changes in fuel or o2's and the fuel trim I think is on block 16. Not sure if that's where it's supposed to be. injector dc is around 2. to 2.30 idlling and goes up evenly between the two when i gas it
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Also as u suggested Ed I looked at the scanner when its cracking it doesn't say any codes or anything w/the opti, May very well be the ebay opti tho. Just seems a little weird that after the ICM It seems to have helped out a bit

Quick Reply: Optispark!!!?!!?!!!?