LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aeroforce Scangauge-Timing and Knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Aeroforce Scangauge-Timing and Knock

Ive been doing some monitoring on the motor since the 24x install. I have a few concerns.

First off, for those that have an Aeroforce scangauge, does it monitor knock? I am showing 0 knock at all times. I know that this is good, but seems to good to be true.

Second, my timing readings are whack. If I go wide open throttle, it dips into the mid to low 30s, from what I gather that is ok. Its when Im cruising at freeway speeds, 70mph + that has me worried. If I am BARELY giving it gas at those speeds, enough to maintain 70, the timing jumps to 40-43. But once I give it gas it goes back down to 35 or a little lower. This is the reason I was wondering about the scangauge reading knock.

A few other things that may be helpful:

It has codes. 2 need to be deleted in the tune, a fuel level code and alternator code. The other is a MAP sensor code that I have discussed with Bill @ BP and we are thinking it is in the tune. (Im on a mailorder tune right now till I can get it on a dyno)

Spark plugs. I am running NGK TR6 right now gapped at 35. I dont know why, I think I read it on one of the Camaro forums and thought I would give them a try. I havent looked at the plugs yet, but do you think I should go back to TR55 gapped at 40?

I have a wideband in the car but its not hooked up. The O2 bungs I have on the car are to small for the sensor that came with it.

I dont see any misfires on the scangauge.

Thanks for reading, I hope someone can throw some ideas and suggestions my way. Id like to be able to at least drive it to work a few days a week.

Last edited by ascastil; 07-19-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Launching!

I know its a long post, sorry. Anyone got anything for me?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timing seems to be fine.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Thankyou Nitrous! I think Im gonna get some tr55 and gap em at 40 this weekend.

Anyone have any idea if my aeroforce scangauge is indeed reading correctly, or is it just saying zero cause its not monitoring it?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humm... Idk if the pid for our cars is correct compared with newer tm cars. But you might not getting any knock. But Kiev my stock tune with headers added had some knock. Idk if it just changed my torque curve enough to need timing adjusted but I might have been getting some if the tube was slightly hitting on the frame....
Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Launching!

I was hoping it would monitor knock since I am on the LS pcm now. I did just get back from getting the bung welded in for the wideband. A/F was 12.0 at WOT, 35* timing, supposed no knock. Idle was super duper lean though. Gonna have to get this thing in for a dyno tune.

Quick Reply: Aeroforce Scangauge-Timing and Knock