LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil leak... from opti...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak... from opti...?

Ok so I have a oil leak which I thought was from my front seal, Well I changed the seal and still got leak. But now it looks like its coming from my opti and seem to have a misfire. Is this possible,can oil be leaking into my opti and causing the misfire.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's 3 seals in the timing cover- water pump drive, opti, and crank. Most often the oil leak is caused by the water pump drive seal- directly above the opti. There is a seal that the opti slides into also though. If you buy the timing cover gasket set it should come with all the seals you will need. I would take the opti out and take the cap off and see if there's oil inside it. Search on here for tips on replacing the wp drive seal. If you're not careful it will leak as soon as you put it back together.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

I replaced the front seal behind the balancer. After a closer look and clean up it looks like its coming from the black plastic cover on the opti.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

oil migrates down and may "appear" the leak is coming from the crank hub seal you replaced but that seal is not the most common "front" engine leak. If oil is gathering and driping from the opti it most likely is wp drive seal or front intake gasket.

you really need to pull wp & opti and look and since you have it off replace both those seals. they are all in the FelPro front timing cover gasket set for around $10

yes oil will get "inside" the opti so you will have to pull the cap off and possible even dissesamble opti to clean oil from it.

pics below are from a wp drive seal leaking that did not drip on ground. uually oil slings around from accessory belt and you notice power steering slip. when I pulled the opti there was a "slight" sign of oil gathering on the bottom of it but you can clearly see oil got inside the opti. this can also clog up the valves in the opti vent harness...
Attached Thumbnails oil leak... from opti...?-opti-oil-1.jpg   oil leak... from opti...?-opti-oil-sensor-2.jpg   oil leak... from opti...?-opti-oil-sensor.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so im goin new opti any help on which one accel or msd?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Neither. Put a Delco one in
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntinZ28
Ok so im goin new opti any help on which one accel or msd?
you can clean the oil out, I did and it works fine. been on the car for months now. My opti did not have any stumble or issues before I pulled it. just could see the oil collecting on the bottom of it

get a AC Delco/Delphi opti

also use a "tool" to put the wp drive seal on. socket, sharpie pen cap or the "tool" itself (pic)
Attached Thumbnails oil leak... from opti...?-wp-drive-seal-tool-1.jpg   oil leak... from opti...?-wp-drive-seal-tool-2.jpg   oil leak... from opti...?-wp-drive-seal.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to install the wp drive seal just use the coupler from drive to wp itself. sand the couple smooth and use light oil and slide the seal on. slide it on the drive shaft and then use a socket to fit over the coupler and tap the seal into the cover.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

great thanks guys

Quick Reply: oil leak... from opti...?