LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No start, wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No start, wiring issues

ok so I go to start my car the other day and all I get is a click that's coming from the solenoid on the starter. Battery is good cables are clean and heres some of the things I checked already while troubleshooting:

*Starter is getting 12v to the big wire that comes from the battery and this is tested using one of the starter mounting bolts so ground is also good.

*The starter works and starts the car when I used a screwdriver to jumper from the thick wire to the thinner purple wire on the starter.

*when I checked voltage from the purple wire at the starter while turning the key to "start" I only get ~7v.

*I get 12v while cranking at the yellow wire on the clutch safety switch (from what I saw on the schematic, that yellow wire comes from the ignition switch)
*I ran a 8ga wire straight from the yellow wire on the clutch switch to where the purple wire would go on the starter solenoid and still only get a click from the solenoid when I turn the key to start.

seems to me like the purple wire is bad somewhere after the clutch safety switch and the solenoid but then again, when I put 12v from the yellow on the clutch switch to the solenoid it still does the same thing.

I hope this is not that confusing but I tried to explain the best I could. Also, I have the VATS bypass and no security light.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

If u can start the car by jumping wires then its definitely a wiring issue. Other wise it sounds like a dead batt or solenoid. Did u change anything in the wiring while replacing the lifters - look there first.
BTW how are the new lifters sounding SQUEEG?

cardo
Old 09-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

The contacts in the ignition switch in the steering column could be worn.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Ill tell you exactly what it is...is a bad starter solnoid swap that out with one from autozone i guarentee it will start right up
Old 09-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cardo0
If u can start the car by jumping wires then its definitely a wiring issue. Other wise it sounds like a dead batt or solenoid. Did u change anything in the wiring while replacing the lifters - look there first.
BTW how are the new lifters sounding SQUEEG?

cardo
I forgot to update my weird noise thread but it ended up being an exhaust leak at the flange....I feel stupid but I'll admit it lol.

I didn't touch none of the wiring while I was messing with it.

Also, I already took down the ignition switch and replaced it since its only $12.

The first thing I did was replace the starter with a reman one from O'Reilly but still only started fine a few times then back to just the clicking .

I guess I can replace the starter again but what has me confused is that the starter solenoid is getting less than 8volts at the small wire ....is that enough to run a starter
Old 09-07-2013, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SQUEEGIOZ28
I forgot to update my weird noise thread but it ended up being an exhaust leak at the flange....I feel stupid but I'll admit it lol.

I didn't touch none of the wiring while I was messing with it.

Also, I already took down the ignition switch and replaced it since its only $12.

The first thing I did was replace the starter with a reman one from O'Reilly but still only started fine a few times then back to just the clicking .

I guess I can replace the starter again but what has me confused is that the starter solenoid is getting less than 8volts at the small wire ....is that enough to run a starter
could have got a bad starter
What happens when you turn the ignition to start voltage will drop down around 9 or 8 by the time it reaches the starter. You should have 12 volts to the starter when it is on the "on" position, once you turn key voltage shoudl drop. youre voltage will be enough to jump the solinoid to turn the starter. If all else fails you could run a relay in between the purple wire and battery to solve this problem perminetly this is a common problem in camaros I dont think you have a electrical problem

Or you could have a weak battery
Old 09-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

U may have a weak batt. U need a batt load tester like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp...9888-9191.html.

Just because a batt can make 12v doesnt mean its good. A fully charged batt will measure something like 13.6v.
BTW i have gone through 2 ignition switches myself and one was a slow death while the other just flat out died.

Not to ridicule u but u mentioned the lifter noise temporarily went away as u adjusted the lifters. Had me going, looking up the wrong tree.

cardo
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk3rdgen91
could have got a bad starter
What happens when you turn the ignition to start voltage will drop down around 9 or 8 by the time it reaches the starter. You should have 12 volts to the starter when it is on the "on" position, once you turn key voltage shoudl drop. youre voltage will be enough to jump the solinoid to turn the starter. If all else fails you could run a relay in between the purple wire and battery to solve this problem perminetly this is a common problem in camaros I dont think you have a electrical problem

Or you could have a weak battery
I do have 12 volts to the starter on the big wire all the time but the small purple one only gets voltage while in the start position. Can you tell me more on how to run that relay?

Originally Posted by cardo0
U may have a weak batt. U need a batt load tester like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp...9888-9191.html.

Just because a batt can make 12v doesnt mean its good. A fully charged batt will measure something like 13.6v.
BTW i have gone through 2 ignition switches myself and one was a slow death while the other just flat out died.

Not to ridicule u but u mentioned the lifter noise temporarily went away as u adjusted the lifters. Had me going, looking up the wrong tree.

cardo
I'll have to get that tester and try it out, it'd be nice to have.

BTW that noise WOULD go away lol I can't explain why but I guess I'm just glad it wasn't anything major.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

just take your battery to autozone and have them test it there that will tell you if the problem lies in the battery or starter
The purple wire should only get voltage when key is turned in "on" position so that is working...go get battery tested is first step stop jumping to the big problems solve simple little ones first
Old 09-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

well had the battery/charging system, and the starter checked at autozone and my battery failed. I got a new one and started back up just fine to check the starter and charging system and it passed but got home and turned it off and the pos won't start again... same single click sound. I noticed that even with the new battery, if I hook up my battery charger on the 10amp setting it starts right away.

Can someone please explain how to run a relay from the purple wire to the battery?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

my man it is the starter solinoid Im telling you this from experience that pos from autozone cause this problem bring that back and get a new one ...try avoiding adding a bandaid
Old 09-08-2013, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

well had the battery/charging system, and the starter checked at autozone and my battery failed. I got a new one and started back up just fine to check the starter and charging system and it passed but got home and turned it off and the pos won't start again... same single click sound. I noticed that even with the new battery, if I hook up my battery charger on the 10amp setting it starts right away.

Can someone please explain how to run a relay from the purple wire to the battery?
Are you running long tube headers?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Yes I have pacesetter longtubes

I'll take the starter off and exchange it and see what happens
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Yes I have pacesetter longtubes

I'll take the starter off and exchange it and see what happens
The reason the solonoid goes bad and casues this problem is becasue of the headers. The solution that helps is header wraps or heat shield on starter. Also I have not confirmed this but the LT4 starter which is smaller than the lt1 and better might be another solution..which I am going to be trying next
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Banned

Reads like u have a batt drain somewhere. I think u are saying that if the new batt doesnt start the car the batt charger will help enough to start the car. Yes?
U can check for batt drains by removing the fuses one by one and trying to start again.

Good luck,
cardo
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Teching In

well, after swapping the starter, triple checking the battery,cables, and looking for a parasitic draw nothing was found wrong.... that purple wire only getting about 8volts was still rolling around in my head so I decided to find out how a relay worked lol and wired it in so the purple wire's purpose is only to turn on the relay which feeds the solenoid full bat. voltage now and car starts every time now! Some of you might call it a band-aid but my best guess is that the purple wire is just old or for some odd reason has enough resistance in it to cause that voltage drop. This relay thing is really the way to go if someone is experiencing this problem and not getting anywhere after checking all of the obvious things first.

and thanks guys for your concern and helping me out!

Quick Reply: No start, wiring issues