LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Upgrading Rockers, help! spring advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Rockers, help! spring advice...

alright guys my rockers are old and crappy and stock, I was looking to upgrade from the stock 1.5's to a set of scorpion 1.6's. I know the springs cant take the extra lift what should i do for upgraded springs?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are just going to upgrade to the 1.6 rockers like the LT4s came with, why not just use the $44 LT4 valve springs that will support that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...5494/overview/
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're not going to exceed a 0.525 lift cam (using the 1.6 rockers), then the LT4's springs are indeed the most economical.

The 'baby' beehives work too; just know that they've got about 15% more seat pressure than the LT4 valve springs (105 lbs vs 90 lbs - if I recall correctly) at their installed height (Again, if I recall correctly 1.800") and they require different retainers and keepers / locks than stock.

Additionally, if you decide to go with the LT4 springs, then the retainers are known to be the next weakest point in the system. I found this out the hard way when one of my GM LT4 retainers failed - I did a Google search and found out I was not the only person who experienced LT4 Hot cam kit retainer failure. I now use Comp Cams stuff - I've had no issues, but I've read that others have not been so fortunate.

Good luck - Have fun!

Originally Posted by noice
If you are just going to upgrade to the 1.6 rockers like the LT4s came with, why not just use the $44 LT4 valve springs that will support that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...5494/overview/

Quick Reply: Upgrading Rockers, help! spring advice...