LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Intake-to-SBC Distributor

Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price? Dont really need the block off plate unless its a real good deal. Had just planned to leave Opti there...lol
Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

200 for the intake. 30 for the block off and 75 for the balancer. Plus shipping on the parts. These prices are only for High-ho-silver.

I am curious how you plan on timing the set up?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-24502592
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12367600/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-80030/
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Teching In

PM Sent.

Hmmm I feel like I should know this but don't. Will I need a balancer with timing marks if I install an EFI distributor like the FAST Dual Sync? Haven't messed around with much aftermarket EFI stuff yet but luckily I have friends that have lots of experience with XFI 2.0. And luckily the 2.0 version comes with a self tuning feature that works really well.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know what You may not. For some reason I thought You were going with a conventional distributor. I have no idea about the setup you are going to run.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Ok that was a brain fart, I will defintely need an wheel with timing marks for the FAST dist. Are you very certain that hub is for LT1 f-bodies?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have done it. It took a fair amount of time. Had to remove the egr stuff then tig the holes shut.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I owned a 1987 Trans am With Lt1 heads/intake on a L98 short block. I did not do the work since I was young inexperienced and actually trusted speed shops back then.

I believe they used a stock lt1 manifold laying around the shop that they probably charged me 400$ for lol. Intake didnt have to be customized to much since LT1 heads were used. They welded shut some coolant ports and re decked them.

Not bad for a first car!
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Intake-to-SBC Distributor-lt1l98.jpg  

Last edited by trilkb; 01-22-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:32 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

High-Ho-Silver, I was considering this (the dual sync distributor) a few years ago for another project. I was advised NOT to use the rear cam driven distributor for the crank signal due to it not being very accurate after twisting through all the lifters AND driving the oil pump gears.

I'd like to suggest the best way to do this is going the EFI Connections way with reluctor rings on the cam & crank and sensors on the timing cover.

Plus, it'll eliminate installing that distributor in the rear-under the cowl.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I think the rear mount dist will be the simpliest most reliable setup I can go with. I also kinda want to use an FAST EZ-LS Ignition Controller combined with the EFI Connection setup but it costs several hundred more than the Dual-Sync setup and requires many more parts. If this car brakes down on a road trip I cannot afford to have it towed home. I need to fix it in town and only having a dist and ignition box will be best for a situation like that; from a trouble shooting stand point. Air Flow Development up north will convert an LT1 intake to use an adjustable collar dist, like the FAST Dual-Sync Tall-Deck BBC unit. If anyone needs this done give them a ring. Its not cheap but it still makes this whole deal cost me less than an LS Coil setup.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you will find the FAST Dual Syc dist too tall to fit under the cowel. I did. I use a low profile MSD (big cap, spreads plug wires to reduce chances of cross-firing) with an MSD crank position sensor for ignition timing. Most accurate timing.
I don't know of a low profile dual sync.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 01-23-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I'm glad I read that. The cheapest option for me then will be going with the EFI Connection 24x conversion with a '96+ timing cover from a junkyard Caprice/Roadmaster/Fleetwood. If I am correct all '94-'96 B-Body LT1s came with the '96+ LT1 Cover, not just a '96 B-Body. With this I will use FAST EZ-LS and this will communicate with XFI 2.0 and allow Sequential EFI. I don't think I will be buying the EFI Connection coil brackets however, it seems very easy to just drill and tap my unknown brand alum valve covers and get some spacers and bolts. Thanks for all of the help everyone.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I doubt the 94~95 LT1 engines came with the 96~97 timing cover.

I used some 1/4 inch threaded rod with lots of nuts and brackets I made up to mount my coils like this:
Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 PM
9-Second Club

Uh, no the '95 didn't come with '96/'97 timing covers. LOL But, they bolt right on. If he has the older, wide timing set I don't believe the reluctor wheel will fit.
He could use the 411 5.7L van PCM, and the Vortec truck distributor. Pretty sure the FAST EZ EFI could use the truck distributor also. He could use that and no crank reluctor to run it in batch fire. Sequential is an emissions only deal. Only way you can make more power in sequential mode is to put it on an engine dyno with 8 wide bands to dial in the WOT air/fuel for cylinders. The max TPS you can set a factory PCM is 90%. At WOT they go into batch fire mode anyway.

Using the self tuning FAST EZ EFI does not tune individual cylinders either. May as well be batch fire. Sequential may not be available with that system anyway.

There is no power in using 8 coils either. That has been proven by the top race engine builders in the U.S. They are only worth something on the internet. LOL
Old 01-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Paul, good idea. Did the stock length plug wires still work?

Ed, EZ EFI version 1.0 actually only does fuel only, it cannot control timing at all. It relys on an RPM signal only and is made to be used with either a standalone electronic ignition system or more commonly any type you would use with a carb, like points-style, HEI, etc. It runs in bank-to-bank.

EZ EFI version 2.0 is bank-to-bank only and can control ignition timing in several ways and with several ignition types (but no Opti) or simply rely on a RPM signal only for fuel only control.

FAST EZ-LS or XIM coil pack ignition controllers would work with the Vortec truck dist most likely, but I have never tried it. They do however both need a crank signal and I would still be required to use the 96+ cover. I hate giving up my 95 cover that fits my current double roller chain, but oh well.

I agree with you on not needing 8 coils. Its just that in my situation, LS coils will cost less than going with an intake mounted dist.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:50 PM
9-Second Club

XFI (not EZ) controls timing also, and works with the Opti. Ran mine that way for a while. Not as dumbed down as EZ EFI, but much more capable. It will also learn. Set your target air/fuel table, then while driving it around in closed loop (or on a chassis dyno) while watching the VE table just tap the L key a couple of times in each cel, it will correct that cel. The extra effort is worth it. If you are spraying it there are also power adder tables & parameters.

Just need one coil. LOL
Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi-Ho-Silver, what are you doing with this car that a optispark won't work?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:10 PM
9-Second Club

If he still has it, and does not need to spin it over 7000, the factory PCM will run just as fast.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Yep, XFI is great. It even has amazing Dry nitrous capabilities that are patented. Works excellently with the Opti from what I have been told. I just already have a bad Opti and if I am gonna spend a few hundred buying a new one I would rather put that towards something that will be trouble free guaranteed. I have found a 96+ cover for free locally and will be able to get everything else that I need for about $850 including the EZ-LS coil pack controller. I have owned 5 other LT1 powered cars with Opti's with no bad luck.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Teching In

No the car won't be able to rev past 7000 for awhile. But I can get an amazing deal on XFI 2.0 and have friends that tune it well so there is no reason to spend time learning how to tune the stock PCM. Plus, I want to spray the car and cannot afford a direct port setup. Dry is about the only real safe way to spray a bunch of nitrous in the front of an LT1 intake, bc XFI 2.0 will add the extra fuel needed right at the injector. Also getting a smoking deal on a FAST/TCI EZ-TCU GM trans controller. Super easy hookup/setup and allows easily wired push button up and down shifting as well as a "performance" button which allows you to go from 2 trans tunes, with, like the shift up and down feature, a simple grounding of 2 wires. XFI will also allow me to use this neat little gadget: http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/xfitm-edashhtml/
Which will display every gauge that I need to see all from a Garmin Nuvi GPS sized display. Including MPH after a driveshaft rpm sensor is purchased...and even oil pressure if I add an optional oil psi sensor. This and a Garmin Nuvi GPS fit perfect next to each other in the LT1 Camaro guage cluster opening.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM
9-Second Club

You know the XFI 2.0 and EZ XFI 2.0 are not the same thing, right? Personally, I would not use the EZ. XFI EZ is the dumbed down, limited version. Not intended for racing. More for street rods. Not near the same capability. There is a Ver 2.0 for both. They are not the same thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Intake-to-SBC Distributor