LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FYI: do not get poly motor mounts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: do not get poly motor mounts!

........unless your motor is out anyway. I have just put in about 12 hours in changing out stock motor mounts to poly ones and I am still not done! This is the biggest PITA I have ever seen. It's not worth it boys. Benefit to hours put in is in the negative. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:59 AM
Launching!

So why did it take so long? I was going to do it on my vehicle, yet the nuts for the Motor mount bolts were not backed up on the frame......so I would have to take my A-arms off my truck to put them back on.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

It's just the fact that one is working in an eclosed space anyway. Sheer access is most of the problem. There was also a long period of time of removing the factory rivets and seperating the shells. Judging from the stock mounts, the poly ones were a good idea but if I knew it was going to be this much trouble I wouldn't have messed with it.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i agree, its much more of a PITA than it looks.........i replaced the passenger side and it took about 4 hours............not to mention its hard to line up the bolt without a helper.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by got_hp?
i agree, its much more of a PITA than it looks.........i replaced the passenger side and it took about 4 hours............not to mention its hard to line up the bolt without a helper.

Changed mine out when the tranny was out and had it done in 2.5 hours.It is worth it IMO.

Rob.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gets easier the next few times. I would go straight to solid mounts, or a motorplate. Quit playing games with rubber and poly .

Ryan
Old 05-16-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Whats the benefit of runnin' poly motor mounts?? did ya gain anymore vibration, or anything like that?? pros/cons?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im running poly mounts. Took about 3 hours for both sides. I just jacked the motor up until the tranny hit the tunnel and went to town on them. Easy mod IMO.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

shouldnt take that long unless its your first time. Takes about 1.5 hours, and that includes the time to put the poly mount in the factory clamshell (drilling rivits)...

Jason
Old 05-17-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brandboZ28
Im running poly mounts. Took about 3 hours for both sides. I just jacked the motor up until the tranny hit the tunnel and went to town on them. Easy mod IMO.
How did you jack the motor? I've been using a floor jack and a board and jacking it on the oil pan. I haven't had time to fool with it in the last few days here but I need to get that thing bolted back up! Did you remove the driveshaft or the torque arm for anything? It seems like that might be holding me back but my dad disagrees. I'm about a 1/2" off on the driver side before it lines back up.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a nice flat 1x8 board and a floor jack on my tranny pan. I took the nuts off of the bolts that go through the mount and jacked the motor up just a little to releave any pressure on the bolts and pulled it right out. Then I just jacked the motor/tranny up as far as I could. Then there was plenty of room. Next I took the motor mounts out, drilled out the rivets, got the mount inserts installed in the casings and bolted back up to the motor on the drivers side and the k-member on the passenger side. Then I just lowered the motor very slowly until one side just "fell" into place. I put the bolt through and adjusted the height of the motor until the other bolt slid right in. Put the nuts back on the bolts and tightened them and viola, nice new motor mounts. I did notice that the motor sat higher with the new mounts which was nice since Im lowered Lemme know if I can help you in any other way.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I have been foolin with it and I am SO CLOSE. I had to come in because it was raining. I've got the tranny jacked up on the tail shaft and I have the motor jacked on the pass side (rather than in the middle). I am so close right now, I'm gonna die if I can't get it now.

Quick Reply: FYI: do not get poly motor mounts!