LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 Z window motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Z window motors

It looks like the DS window motor is about shot....real weak and stutters. It looks like replacing one isn't a big deal. Can anyone recommend a brand over another? I sold both Cardone and Dorman for years, but have been out of the parts biz for 5 years.

Is there anything about doing one of these that isn't mentioned in a Chilton manual?

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Dorman motor and regulator from Advance. Supposed to be an "improved design". Been over a year- still works great. You can find some good online coupons to use also. Pretty straightforward install- just kind of a pain. There's some links in this link for instructions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...tructions.html
Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Not sure if instructions tell you to drill holes into your door, but you're going to have to to drill out the rivets if this hasn't been done already. Use a 1/2" hole saw. Don't use some small 7/16" drill bit or whatever it is that is recommended. Makes it far easier to thread the mounting bolts of the motor.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally don't think they have done anything to improve the motor design. They just keep replacing armatures and brushes and resell them as rebuilt. **** in, **** out. Its just a roll of the dice on how long they last.

Best thing to do to help the problem is to wire in a 12gauge hot wire from the battery and a pair of solenoids for each window motor to address the voltage resistance in the stock harness. I did this and the motors work well and seem to last longer too.

I also disable the thermal cutoff on the motors by soldering a jumper in place.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 95 is getting weak too. I have to rev the engine a tad to get the windows to move fast, with the engine off they just creep.

Are there instruction somewhere to do this?

Al 95 Z28

Quick Reply: 95 Z window motors