LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Tail lights

I have a 96 Trans Am Convertible and the tail lights are extremely dim, and when I turn on the parking lights the brake lights stop working. I checked the grounds in the trunk and they seem good, I also just replaced the turn signal switch thinking that was the problem since everything is going through it. But still it doesnt work correctly.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing me problem??

Thanks,
-Buddy-
Old 05-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Default Reply

I am having the same problem. Hope someone helps answer this before I find the answer. I had installed sequential lights on the car and they worked great for several months on my 02 Trans Am WS6. Started having problems with the odometer light dimming to almost nothing, and then no signals. I took out the sequentials and then the turn signal flasher which brought back the lights....UNTIL you turn on the Parking or Headlights, then all the lights outside stopped working until I turn them back off again. Works fine with headlights off, but stops when headlights are on. This includes the brake lights....EXCEPT for the top one in the back window. It works fine.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Coyotesa....Here is what MINE was. But it may give you a sense of direction. I had installed a sequential light set of modules on the 02 WS6. When he brought it back saying that the odometer lighting was going dim when he stepped on the brakes, I started investigating and after four days of searching, and three hours letting my mind go over the wiring diagrams, I had a half sheet of "places to look" AND "things to try" when I got up this morning. As previously stated, I took the modules back out. Everything worked until I stepped on the brakes, and then nothing worked. So, I started all over again. I had left the wire splice connectors (the ones where you fold over the plastic and snap the clip to hold it shut) on and just clipped the wire about 1 inch away to be able to reconnect if we wanted to.

I took the splice connectors off and the second one was for the black grounding wire. When I pried it open, the black wire fell out. Not the short one that was cut but the end of the wire that I had spliced into. It was literally cut in half. Instead of just splitting the insulation and contacting the wire beneath, it cut all but two strands in half....thus, I was getting a little power through to the ground but not enough. I stripped the ends and soldered them together. Voila! Every thing works. Suggest that you go back and don't take anything for granted......check it all. Especially the ground wires.

I have a hard and tried rule to splice and solder all connections. As soon as I connect the wires and just wrap them to make sure the stereo/lights/whatever works, I go back and solder them, then wrap in tape or heat shrink, or liquid tape. I should not have used the splice connectors and won't in the future.

Last edited by Dandur805; 05-04-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with Tail lights