LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

O2 Sensors Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensors Needed?

I have been chasing a backfire problem with my 93 LT1 (vette) engine that I installed in a Jeep. The backfire problem was intermittent and engine would also surge without any throttle position changes and seemed to lose power just before a backfire. Let off the gas and then it would run great. Fuel pressure is correct, O2 sensors, plugs, wires, Opti and all of the sensors for that matter are all new. I should also add that the exhaust is pacesetter headers with custom 2.5" y-pipes to a 3" exhaust and 3" magnaflow muffler. I added bungs for O2s to the Y pipes just downstream of the header collectors on both sides. EGR deleted from ECM and removed from engine.

Running datamaster, I got a DTC64 (right bank lean) so I pulled the passenger side O2 sensor and replaced with a new one (it was fouled). Backfire problem continued - so I unplugged both O2 sensors and now it runs great - no surging, smooth idle, and strong acceleration. I read a post that said with speed density and no cats, you really do not need O2 sensors since ECM will use factory AFR. Should I continue to chase this problem to maximize performance or enjoy a smooth running engine without the O2s?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

My guess would be your O2s are not heating up enough. Downstream from the collector may be too far, especially for a non-heated O2. Changing the placement or modifying it for heated O2s may help.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensors Needed?