LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 lt1 p1371

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 lt1 p1371

OK everyone so i have a 96 lt1. it was running fine until one day it just died on me on the road. got it home and hooked up the obd2 and got a stored p1371 code. i've already replaced my crankshaft sensor and ICM yesterday so that is not the problem. i have no spark but i do have fuel. i replaced the opti 4 months ago with an accel opti. could it be a bad opti already?
Old 08-27-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Yep, it could. Accel's opti reputation is not so good. Might be your opti harness if it is old, though. Not sure why you replaced those other things when the code was for the opti.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You said that you replaced the crankshaft sensor yesterday? Code p1371, just looked it up, is related to the camshaft sensor, which if your engine throws this code the PCM immediately shuts off the fuel system until this code is cleared and you may also have to pull the PCM BAT fuse for a minute, this would just clear any stored codes in your computer for sure. Fuel starts working again after your try starting your car again. The computer basically isn't getting a good reading of when to give spark and in return shuts off the ignition portion...??????? I feel like I'm wrong there so please take that with a large grain of salt, hopefully someone will voice there lt1 wisdom instead of me.
IMO just check the connections with the crankshaft sensor and ICM that you just replaced and make sure they're good and maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

I replaced them because of the damn internet . Ok I will replace the opti and the harness. Lucky the opti is still under warranty
Old 08-27-2014, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
You said that you replaced the crankshaft sensor yesterday? Code p1371, just looked it up, is related to the camshaft sensor, which if your engine throws this code the PCM immediately shuts off the fuel system until this code is cleared and you may also have to pull the PCM BAT fuse for a minute, this would just clear any stored codes in your computer for sure. Fuel starts working again after your try starting your car again. The computer basically isn't getting a good reading of when to give spark and in return shuts off the ignition portion...??????? I feel like I'm wrong there so please take that with a large grain of salt, hopefully someone will voice there lt1 wisdom instead of me.
IMO just check the connections with the crankshaft sensor and ICM that you just replaced and make sure they're good and maybe you'll get lucky.
I've tried removing the fuse and clearing codes but no spark still.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

The sensor that it refers to (low resolution) is inside the optispark. The engine will not run with this code active. It will run with a high resolution error (P0372).
Old 08-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Teching In

This is an interesting thread. My engine is without spark as well. Crank sensor is fine but cam sensor does not vary. Changed the sensor and still get the same results. Curious to see what you come up with.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me like accell opti like shbox said. hhigh res itll run but low res code it wont.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Out of curiosity, who makes the best (and reliable) stock opti replacement? Regardless of price and mind the 24x conversion and the 6al box. Also is the stock GM one all that bad?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

I went through 3 Accel optis within 4 months, the last one I sent back to the manufacture and never got a replacement back! Still pissed, they claim they never got it and I have the tracking info that says they did. Anyways, I've had my car for 9 years and I have replaced the damn dist 6 times! 4 ICM's, 3 sets of ignition wires, 2 of which burned on my headers, 1MSD 6AL, 1 MSD coil and MSD harness. Ripped all that **** out and went back to all stock and the car ran perfect. While your at it check your water pump weep hole, mine let go slowly and was dumping into the opti and now I gotta pull it out again! Good luck!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Out of curiosity, who makes the best (and reliable) stock opti replacement? Regardless of price and mind the 24x conversion and the 6al box. Also is the stock GM one all that bad?
1st pick=GM/Delco/Delphi

2nd pick=MSD (at least rebuildable by MSD if it fails)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of those things that are best replaced with a stock OEM unit. It may cost a lot more, but it's worth every penny.

Quick Reply: 96 lt1 p1371