LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ticking noise under the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise under the car?

94 lt1 with a t56 and long tube pacesetters and ory.

Also lowered, so I scrape the headers/ory a lot.

I have a ticking noise coming from under the car. It isn't noticeable at all with the hood up etc. Doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold. It's most noticeable at idle. No power loss, car still runs fine (other than my idling issue which I've yet to figure out). Where should I look?

My first instinct is exhaust leak from all the scraping, probably pulling the y-pipe off the headers a bit. I want to know everyone's opinions though.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Ticking is usually an exhaust leak around the manifolds/headers. Did you use copper or aluminum header gaskets? If so check the bolts to see if they are tight. Does it tick only when the car is in motion or while sitting still as well. ive heard wheel bearings as well as shot u joints tick or click as well.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like an exhaust leak. I had a issue a couple years ago where my #7 spark plug had loosened up and was ticking and passing heavy gas fumes into the car. If your checking out your exhaust look for heavy black sooty areas around your joints and your collector where your primary pipes meet. You could have cracked the welds...
Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1......the "T" must stand for TICK!

I too have a "ticking LT1" which comes and goes (sounds like it was either from the valve covers, or under the car). It's been doing it since almost new, and only when hot (and at idle), never ticks cold. Took to one dealer very early in the car's life (not even a year old), they replace the valve lifters (they also recommended I switch to synthetic oil, which I did later on). Even with the new lifters (before and after Mobil1 5w-30) it still ticked, almost as much as it did before the replacement. Back then I was told these motors will always have some ticking sound and will not be completely silent.

A few years back I decided to have a local shop check it out...and they suggested thicker oil (15w-50). I didn't take their advice and just walked away. Few months after I took it to the dealer to get some other things done (fuel pump, brakes, etc), so I told them about my ticking at hot idle. They indicated on my bill "no unusual noises heard".

Sorry couldn't offer much help, as I've also been trying to chase this problem here and there, kinda gave up and accepted it as normal. Haven't had any driveability / performance issues but the noise is irritating!

Quick Reply: Ticking noise under the car?