LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

First lt1 & in need of help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First lt1 & in need of help!

Ok, so I recently bought my first lt1(97 z28 30th anniversary) and it's pretty fast, but I wanna make it a little bit faster lol. Bought it from a guy who said it has a tune from Hawks Third Gen Tuning, he rebuilt the top end and put factory aluminum heads on and it has a Flowmaster exhaust. I'm not sure if it's the full exhaust but from the muffler point of view, it looks fresh. I'm not fortunate enough to drop thousands of $$$ into the engine like I wish I could but I'm looking to spend starting off up to $800. So any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry, for sounding illiterate from an car heads point of view. I'm just starting off.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best bang for the buck is going to be headers, stall, gears, and tune. Doing the work your self would run about $1200. Having a shop do it? I'd at least double that.

If a shop is doing it, I'd say Header's and Tune. Then save the rest for Stall and gears later.

If you already have headers, then stall. Do gears later.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 PM

I'd have to go out and buy headers. What exactly is a stall?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 PM

And it already has a tune from Hawks third gen.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dmarman
. What exactly is a stall?
stall refers to "torque converter". A higher "stall" over stock will help get the car moving a little faster off the line. Lower gears also help get the car moving faster. Both will require a new "tune"

Cams & stall RPM are directly related. For a stock cam car 2500-2800 RPM stall is good. Cam you typically start 3000+ depending on cam.

if you are a point & pay guy the costs are:

Torque Converter $500-$1000 depending on TC used
Gears $375-$400

Long tube headers, 1:6 RR and quality valve springs with a "performance" tune using a 160 thermostat will wake the car up also
Old 08-31-2014, 12:18 PM

Well, I'm set back now. Last night driving my car started making a clunking noise underneath the car so I pulled over and stopped then it went away and I just decided to go home and it started making it again and when I was just about home it started not to accelerate, like a slight jerking.

Quick Reply: First lt1 & in need of help!