LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

just replaced clutch. now no pedal?? help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just replaced clutch. now no pedal?? help!

My clutch started slipping in my 95 z28. So today i replaced my centerforce with a competition clutch stage 4. Everything went fine. Lowered the car off the lift to find out i had no clutch peddle. Kinda stumped me because i did not unhook slave cylinder hose. I tried bleeding but still no pedal. Wondering if anyone has had similar problems and/or solutions. Any help would be appreciated. Im leaning towards the slave somehow being bad or the clutch fork not being installed right maybe??? Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out post #8 in this thread for pics to help you see how the clutch fork mounts on it's pivot.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...l#post18237250
Also make sure you have the nylon cup on the end of the slave piston, you'll have less clutch travel without it.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks grumpy. The fork bothered me cause it had play in it so i was hoping it was installed correct. But That just assured me the fork is in right. So i guess the only thing it could be would be the slave cylinder? I installed the pilot bearing, throw out bearing was already installed in the pressure plate and put in a new clutch disk. I just didnt put a new slave cylinder in.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

was your fluid low before you pulled the slave off for clutch swap?

fork can feel "loose" and still be on right but not slop around. Fork should look like pic if installed right with end about 1/4"-1/2" in the spacer.

As mentioned you need the plastic cup on the end of the slave

FWIW I have let my slave just hang for a clutch swap and reinstalled without issue several times. Guess its possible it or MC shiat itself though if fork is on right and cup is on.
Attached Thumbnails just replaced clutch. now no pedal?? help!-clutch-inst-8-clutch-fork.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the slave shaft in the rubber boot is seated in the slave. They can pop out dangling around. Sounds silly but also make sure the fork is not in front of the throw out bearing (that would give you a hard pedal though).
Old 11-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
was your fluid low before you pulled the slave off for clutch swap?

fork can feel "loose" and still be on right but not slop around. Fork should look like pic if installed right with end about 1/4"-1/2" in the spacer.

As mentioned you need the plastic cup on the end of the slave

FWIW I have let my slave just hang for a clutch swap and reinstalled without issue several times. Guess its possible it or MC shiat itself though if fork is on right and cup is on.
The fluid was low but still in the master. And thanks for the picture. My fork looked exactly like that. And yes i have the cup on the ball on the end of the slave rod. But yea i let the slave hang while i did the clutch so i wouldnt have to bleed the system. Thats why im so confused why its doing this. The clutch pedal has no pressure at all. (Just like before you bleed brakes the brake pedal has no pressure.) But it does not hang up like the forks in the wrong position.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Make sure the slave shaft in the rubber boot is seated in the slave. They can pop out dangling around. Sounds silly but also make sure the fork is not in front of the throw out bearing (that would give you a hard pedal though).
Yes the slave rod was dangling but when i bolted it back up, it was straight. Im kinda leaning to just go buy a new slave and bolt it up and bleed the system and hope that fixes my problems. And the pedal was soft (could press it down with a finger.)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way the sys is set up it's hard to tell if the master or slave is the problem. In the long run it's better to replace both of them, most autoparts stores carry pre-bled ready to install assemblies.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by guppymech
The way the sys is set up it's hard to tell if the master or slave is the problem. In the long run it's better to replace both of them, most autoparts stores carry pre-bled ready to install assemblies.
Ok well the whole assembly was 3-4 days out and the slave would be here tomorrow so i ordered the slave. Ill be putting it on after work. Hopefully that fixes it. If not, ill be back to ask the pro's haha. But thanks for all the help so far. Been a great help!!!

Quick Reply: just replaced clutch. now no pedal?? help!