LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gasket kits.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket kits.

So it looks like I have a blown head gasket. I tried searching but couldn't find anything that answered my question. My question is does anyone sell a kit that would come everything to do the heads? I would also like to up compression so I would like a thinner gasket. And while I'm in there I going to replace the timing chain set. So Ill need that timing cover gasket to.

Any recommendations guys?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to Autozone for the timing cover gasket kit Fel Pro makes one.. Summit or Jegs for the head gaskets..
Old 01-31-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the Fel-Pro website.....it's all there.

(start with the HS9966PT)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is the perfect gasket set if the engine is built and the pistons are zero deck or slightly above to go with the .039 head gasket, if presumably a stock shortblock I would look at the Victor Rienz .026 gaskets instead.

Why do you want to do the timing chain?
You understand this isn't some mileage base maintenance item like timing belts in some cars?
You understand a new OEM set is likely to be considered "loose"? Many before you have needlessly worried about it and been disappointed to find new replacement no different than original.
If you are eager to needlessly screw with it I would just put on a Cloyes oversized lower gear which will snug it up a little.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
That is the perfect gasket set if the engine is built and the pistons are zero deck or slightly above to go with the .039 head gasket, if presumably a stock shortblock I would look at the Victor Rienz .026 gaskets instead.

Why do you want to do the timing chain?
You understand this isn't some mileage base maintenance item like timing belts in some cars?
You understand a new OEM set is likely to be considered "loose"? Many before you have needlessly worried about it and been disappointed to find new replacement no different than original.

If you are eager to needlessly screw with it I would just put on a Cloyes oversized lower gear which will snug it up a little.

I agree...plus, I had issues with the cam gear not being to spec (even though Cloyes insisted it was) when I replaced my chain and gears, several years ago. I did, however, wish I knew about the o/s crank gear, when I had it apart, as I would have gone with it.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the PN on the crank gear is hard to turn up I can find it, they are only like $20 a couple years ago. I actually have one in the garage I can go look at the box.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the reason I was changing the timing chain was I'm putting a different cam in. Just figured I would freshen things up a bit. BTW I'll be running stock heads that have been rebuilt. Heads haven't been milled down either. I may just reuse the old timing set.

Quick Reply: Gasket kits.