LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT Header install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Header install questions

my tsp 1 3/4" ss lt's are in ory pipe and im gearing up to get everything bolted up and had a few questions before I dive in.

air/egr delete- im not really sure how to do this but Ive been goi g through old threads....Ive got the umi block off plate for the rear of the intake but three plates came with the kit the other two r for what? Air pump assembly is driver side under intake? and all of that comes out? I know ill need some plugs or caps.
While im doing the headers I have new motor mounts plugs wires o2's coolant temp and oil pressuee sensors anything else im missing while im in there? Thanx
Old 02-17-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CFLFORMULA93
my tsp 1 3/4" ss lt's are in ory pipe and im gearing up to get everything bolted up and had a few questions before I dive in.

air/egr delete- im not really sure how to do this but Ive been goi g through old threads....Ive got the umi block off plate for the rear of the intake but three plates came with the kit the other two r for what? Air pump assembly is driver side under intake? and all of that comes out? I know ill need some plugs or caps.
While im doing the headers I have new motor mounts plugs wires o2's coolant temp and oil pressuee sensors anything else im missing while im in there? Thanx
One plate blocks off the EGR valve, one blocks off the port on the back passenger side of the intake where the small exhaust tube bolts on. The third plate bolts onto your stock passenger manifold or emissions style headers where that small exhaust tube bolts to. Don't forget to plug the vaccum line from the EGR valve.

The AIR pump bolts to the front of the motor on '94+ LT1s, on your '93 it's bolted to the drivers side frame under the ABS block. Delete the ENTIRE system, all hoses, the pump, etc. If your headers don't have AIR ports on them, you don't need to block off anything.

Remember, you'll need a tune to delete the AIR pump and EGR codes. I recomend Solomon for a tune.

Also, I hope you didn't buy stock '93 O2s, they won't work right with LT headers because they don't get hot enough. You need 1994 O2s and then you have to wire a 12V keyed source and a ground for them to work. the 3rd ECM wire will work like stock to send the readings.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Launching!

this picture from the Shbox site helps show which parts. in the right pic, the two connection points of the EGR pipe, and the valve pointed out in the left pic.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I see no mention of beer. The only plausible explanation is that you are a girl, in which case I don't know what you would drink.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

No need to question my manhood lol but I do have moonshine and herbal supplements to accompany any install....I had no idea about the need for a different o2.....I bought bosch replacements. ...what about o2 extensions. I ordered those with my headers from tsp will they have to be modified? ....
Old 02-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Take the o2s back and get your money get the afs-75 I think that's the part # not sure. Amazon and wal-mart online have the for cheap. If you find them on wal-mart online you can pay for them at the store and have them shipped to your house. It took 3-4 days for mine. Also send back the o2 extensions.

Last edited by rjmarazzi; 02-17-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

The part is afs75 amazon 26.86 Wal-mart 28.47
Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CFLFORMULA93
No need to question my manhood lol but I do have moonshine and herbal supplements to accompany any install....I had no idea about the need for a different o2.....I bought bosch replacements. ...what about o2 extensions. I ordered those with my headers from tsp will they have to be modified? ....
Your stock 02s are single wire and are not heated which is why they won't work right. You need '94+ O2s that are heated (just order for a 1994) and are a 4 wire plug, do not get Bosch sensors. One wire plugs into the stock single wire which goes to the ECM. Then there is a 12V power and a ground. The 4th one is not needed. They are letter coded but I can't remember exactly which wire goes where but there is a write up on here by Fastbird93 about the whole thing. Your 12V power source just needs to come from a keyed power source, as in, it turns on when you hit the key.

On my car, I ran a power wire from an ignition source in the fuse box to a relay, then from the relay to a fuse, then ran two wires to the O2s.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

ok I have the heated o2s ordered and I think im gonna go the easy route and get a harness from fastbird93. In the meantime ive noticed that although the headers fit well even at idle they are hitting the floorboard. Do I just jack up the floor a little or dent it with a sledge? I used new motor mounts to try an alleviate the problem but still have it
Old 03-05-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
One plate blocks off the EGR valve, one blocks off the port on the back passenger side of the intake where the small exhaust tube bolts on. The third plate bolts onto your stock passenger manifold or emissions style headers where that small exhaust tube bolts to. Don't forget to plug the vaccum line from the EGR valve.

The AIR pump bolts to the front of the motor on '94+ LT1s, on your '93 it's bolted to the drivers side frame under the ABS block. Delete the ENTIRE system, all hoses, the pump, etc. If your headers don't have AIR ports on them, you don't need to block off anything.

Remember, you'll need a tune to delete the AIR pump and EGR codes. I recomend Solomon for a tune.

Also, I hope you didn't buy stock '93 O2s, they won't work right with LT headers because they don't get hot enough. You need 1994 O2s and then you have to wire a 12V keyed source and a ground for them to work. the 3rd ECM wire will work like stock to send the readings.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but if you do not get a tune after deleting the AIR and EGR will it just set a CEL, or does it pull timing or something? In short, do you actually NEED a tune?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

One plate blocks off the EGR valve, one blocks off the port on the back passenger side of the intake where the small exhaust tube bolts on.
Blocking off the EGR makes the second block plate unnecessary since that passenger side exhaust gas port plumbs back to the EGR.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
Not to hi-jack the thread, but if you do not get a tune after deleting the AIR and EGR will it just set a CEL, or does it pull timing or something? In short, do you actually NEED a tune?
On my car it did nothing except show those codes until I got a tune. Ran fine without it.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Blocking off the EGR makes the second block plate unnecessary since that passenger side exhaust gas port plumbs back to the EGR.
That's correct, I just blocked mine off since I had it in hand anyway.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my car it did nothing except show those codes until I got a tune. Ran fine without it.
Good deal! i was just wondering because I am planning on ordering a set of tsp longtubes next friday!!!

Quick Reply: LT Header install questions