LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MAF vs SD on 73 Camaro Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF vs SD on 73 Camaro Swap

I am starting to resemble the motor and and going through the inventory. I just realized I don't have the MAF Sensor (housing and all). This LTI out of a 96 Camaro will be going into a 73 with no smog.

Reading through the forums here and on NastyZ28.com I can't get a good enough feel on my need for this sensor. I have not had the harness adjusted yet and have not had the ECM programed yet either.

So does the cost of the MAF Sensor justify the need? Or wilting it out be the best course?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The MAF really helps with tune-ability. With SD, you have to get it nailed down pretty good in all driving scenarios. It took me weeks to get my SD tune close and it still needs a bit more tweaking. The MAF is much more forgiving, just calibrate the MAF for airflow vs adjusting each BLM cell based on logs, then blending each cell to the adjacent ones and re-logging over and over and over again. With the MAF you don't have to worry about rpm or kpa really.

But, I will say both should be done regardless (if you do go MAF mode that is). If the MAF ever fails and your SD isn't tuned for your build it'll rear is ugly head in a very unstable way. I found this out the hard way, which is why I did an SD tune.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Do you have a super aggressive NA cam, or over a 2bar boost tune in mind? No?

Then run a MAF.

That being said, my OLSD tune starts and idles just fine no matter what.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Teching In

No, nothing aggressive at all. Still an all stock motor.

I was just wondering if I really needed to go out and buy this sensor to make it work properly or if it was one that could be easily be left out without giving me (a novice) no issues later on.

So from what you guys are saying it sounds as if I should go ahead and get this part. Where Is the best place to source it? Used/ New?
Old 05-19-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would go ahead a pick one up. Otherwise, the engine will throw codes. I would not buy used for such a critical sensor unless you know for certain the part is good.

It will run without it...provided the other critical sensors for SD are present and working right.

You can pick up a Delphi unit at Rockauto.com for just under $100. They are under the "Emissions" category of all places. I was looking under Air/Fuel and could not find it.

ACDelco offers a Reman unit for $140. With that you would get the metal housing(which is how they came stock). The Delphi appears to be all plastic.

Last edited by ACE1252; 05-19-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks Ace. I found this one on Carid what do you think?

http://www.carid.com/1996-chevy-cama...FZJffgod0wcAPA
Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

I with out a question would run a maf .
Old 05-19-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by printstron
Thanks Ace. I found this one on Carid what do you think?

http://www.carid.com/1996-chevy-cama...FZJffgod0wcAPA
I personally prefer to stick with AC Delco or Delphi when it comes to sensors and electronics for my Z28.

I have no experience with that brand so I can't say if they are good or not.

Quick Reply: MAF vs SD on 73 Camaro Swap