LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Plug wires vs longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug wires vs longtubes

As the title suggests, I need a suggestion for plug wires for my 95 camaro. I cheaper out and ran auto zone wires as I expected to burn a pair up from my headers... did not expect to burn up 6 pairs in just over a year...

My problem lies, do I just grab some Ac Delco wires or otvc? I refuse to pay the 150+ I'm seeing for otvc wires... and my car is running like complete ****, so I have to do something asap.

Nothing like having it pop like crazy from the exhaust and stumble in the lower rpms, it runs fine above 3k though. So it's giving me the usual signs it's plug wires again... >. <

So what do you guys with race style longtubea run? I daily it and, it's just a bolt on car. So I'm thinking 8.5mm wires, but not sure if it matters really.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'd start by putting boots on them this next time to stop burning them.

Been running a set of modified 8.5 wires, with boots, with this 24x setup for 4 years now.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I should have said I've had boots on each set the whole time. Found them on a parts car I snagged up.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run your individual plug wires through some -8 Aeroquip Fire Sleeve to protect them. The fire sleeve won't burn through even laying on the header.
Check out Aircraftspruce.com, I'd post a link but they aren't a sponsor.

Last edited by guppymech; 07-01-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I've burned or cut 2 or 3 wires total in 10 years but all were my own fault, you can do 5 and 7 in the tray on the block, 5 has to be sent towards 7 then into the end of the tray. 1 and 3 go under #1 primary. 6 and 8 also in the tray on that side, 2 and 4 under 2. 6 is the one I used to burn, but now without HVAC there's a ton of room to double check your routing. This is with pacesetter LTs.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Routing hasn't been the problem really, but I don't have the trays to route them like factory anymore. I've been zip tiring them up and away, just cheap wires that can't handle the heat.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been battleing the same thing for 5 years. Namely on my #5 and 6 cylinder. The primaries on my Dynatechs are way to damn close to the boot no matter what. I have fiberglass sleeves on both of them but I still burnt one just the other day on #5. I now have those two cylinders ran over the valve cover and so far it seems to be working.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After getting sick of OTVC, I went back to stock routing. I run MSD's with no sleeves, just zip tied to each other and the original metal bracket. I don't run #7 the way GM did, just run straight back and tied to #5. My Kooks have excellent clearance in these areas though, your results may differ.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

My plug wire burning issues were resolved for good with the OTVC.

6 sets of wires?!? You could have easily paid for an OTVC with GOOD wires for the cost of the cheapo wires that can't handle the extra heat of headers. Keep doing the same thing time and time again and yet expect a different outcome?!?!?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lifetime warranty wires, paid for one set just to get the car running 2 years ago and have had to swap them out regularly since. I spent 30 or less but cost myself in the long run having to keep messing with it.

I knew I'd burn up at least one set, never expected 6 though...
Old 07-01-2015, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Who makes a otvc kit anymore, last I had seen was an eBay kit that was about $170.

Any of our sponsors still sell them etc?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
Lifetime warranty wires, paid for one set just to get the car running 2 years ago and have had to swap them out regularly since. I spent 30 or less but cost myself in the long run having to keep messing with it.

I knew I'd burn up at least one set, never expected 6 though...
That's how autozone/advance gets you! Had the same issue with their opti till I wised up and returned that POS for a full refund! Just get them to refund your $30 and invest in good wires. One has to decide how many wasted hours and busted knuckles due to changing out crappy wires/optis/alternators/ect over and over makes it worthwhile? It's more like a lifetime sentence of hard time changing LT1 wires than a lifetime warranty....
Old 07-01-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very true indeed, at least I got my plug wire changes down to about 45 min without a hoist lol.

So where to buy otvc wires?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
Very true indeed, at least I got my plug wire changes down to about 45 min without a hoist lol.

So where to buy otvc wires?
There's really no need to buy a "kit".....pretty much any center bolt wire looms will work, there's a bunch of different options, they are not expensive($25-40). Then you just have to get a GOOD set of "universal" wires of your choice and custom cut them to the correct length needed.

This company make them:
http://www.made4uproducts.com/centerbolt_kits.htm
Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Looking at that ebay kit, all you are paying for is for them to pre-cut the wires to the right length, and they send you those wire looms which can be bought separate. Just depends if you want to save money by cutting the wires yourself.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

And msd universal kit it is, can anyone point me in the righy way of routing them on the passenger side, drivers is rather obvious. My car has the Ac fully removed if that matters here.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

I also keep burning up wires. I'm just going to order the OTVC kit on eBay and be done with it. I should probably look into protective boots as well.

Seems like I am replacing single junk parts store wires every coulple times I drive it. They just can't handle the heat I'm thinking.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
I also keep burning up wires. I'm just going to order the OTVC kit on eBay and be done with it. I should probably look into protective boots as well.

Seems like I am replacing single junk parts store wires every coulple times I drive it. They just can't handle the heat I'm thinking.
Yeah, the parts store wires are fine for stock manifolds.....headers increase under hood temps close to the wires MUCH hotter than they are meant to handle. It's not that expensive to get good performance wires either....Yeah MSD universal wire set is over $90. However JEGs sells their brand wires which are actually very good quality performance wires for under $50...Universal 8.5mm Ultra Pow'r Wires. You could easily do the OTVC for under $100 if you go that route.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine usually ran good the first couple of drives, then I could hear that it had started to burn them up. The heat from the headers is just nuts...

I'll be ordering a universal kit, and making my own otvc next weekend. May do a tune at the same time and just hit milan drag way Friday night! I'm hoping for 13.2 before I change anything out on the car 13.45 running in the 11's AFR wise lmao.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28

That's the issue I have. I'm running parts store ones as well and after a week of driving and a few WOT pulls, i usually burn either #5 or 6... I've replaced one every time I got to the track too. They don't even have to be touching, they just get hot. I think I just need to upgrade.

Quick Reply: Plug wires vs longtubes