LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which aluminum heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

I run ported stock castings and so far have yet to lift them. Prob could make more HP spinning it higher but, can't argue with its Tq
Old 07-30-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The AFR springs are made by PAC.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the LE Trickflow heads. For 1800 they seem like a decent deal.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's going to depend on the power you want and how hard you are going to lean on it. 99% of lt1 na setups will run fine and perform with a ported stock head. As for who's stuff to run. Just start looking at the top running na cars to see who's stuff delivers real world performance. When it comes to power adders there's going to be a lot variances from one combination to another. Also how much power and how hard you want to run it makes a big difference in what you want to run. Imo any time you want to run north of 7xx you should be running a aftermarket casting. They generally are a much heavier casting and will survive better. As for the comment about afr being junk. I have ran the same set of 210's for 13 years making north of 700 for most of those years. Only thing we have changed is springs.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
Looking at AI's site for a set of 200 cc heads they want 1800 for machine work alone and I would need to locate a set of castings.
$1800 is actually not a bad deal for what you get. High quality machine work and premium valvetrain components are not cheap. Hit up your local craigslist for a decent set of used factory castings to use as cores. Shouldn't cost any more than $200.

If those aren't enough, dig out another $695 and just get the AI 212cc 21 degree Trick Flow head.

The second option will dyno approximately 20-40 numbers over the first with everything else being equal, and has made a bit over 500rwhp NA with HR cams in manual-transmission street cars. But that's essentially the only real scenario in which going with an aftermarket casting will provide any real, measurable benefit. Like others have said, the ported factory casting will work well for nearly all but the most radical or specialized setups.

There is no compelling reason whatsoever to get aftermarket castings unless you are going to spend the money to apply the same quality of machine work to them that you would any other head.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne
$1800 is actually not a bad deal for what you get. High quality machine work and premium valvetrain components are not cheap. Hit up your local craigslist for a decent set of used factory castings to use as cores. Shouldn't cost any more than $200.

If those aren't enough, dig out another $695 and just get the AI 212cc 21 degree Trick Flow head.

The second option will dyno approximately 20-40 numbers over the first with everything else being equal, and has made a bit over 500rwhp NA with HR cams in manual-transmission street cars. But that's essentially the only real scenario in which going with an aftermarket casting will provide any real, measurable benefit. Like others have said, the ported factory casting will work well for nearly all but the most radical or specialized setups.

There is no compelling reason whatsoever to get aftermarket castings unless you are going to spend the money to apply the same quality of machine work to them that you would any other head.
Lloyd elliot has a set of trickflow heads 210cc for $1800 using the same 23* ltx casting. What makes the AI head better for $700 more? This is the only thing holding me back. 3 solid options. just trying to make sure im not overpaying for a similar product.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lloyd elliot has a set of trickflow heads 210cc for $1800 using the same 23* ltx casting. What makes the AI head better for $700 more? This is the only thing holding me back. 3 solid options. just trying to make sure im not overpaying for a similar product.
LE's are hand ported and he uses lesser quality valve train parts. Not saying they are junk but the price reflects the quality as many people have had great luck with them. AI is completely CNC machined top notch work with very good quality parts.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cnc porting is only as good as the program. All cnc programs are based off a hand ported cylinder head. So the only real advantage cnc has over a hand ported head is the repeatability from one head to another.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Man-Crush Warning

CNC will also struggle with casting shifts so you may not be able to go as extreme as a hand porting.

Does that affect you? not at all lol
Old 08-03-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what valvetrain parts Lloyd uses, but I know AI uses all top-shelf stuff and that is reflected in the cost of their work.
AI's stuff is CNC'd, Lloyd's is hand ported. I would expect a greater degree of consistency and repeatability in the CNC heads.

Both outfits have very good reputations and I wouldn't try to talk you out of either.

Considering that the AI TFS head is only $300 more than the out-of-the-box price you quoted for the 195cc TFS head, I'd consider going with the AI CNC'd TFS head a no-brainer.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne
I'm not sure what valvetrain parts Lloyd uses, but I know AI uses all top-shelf stuff and that is reflected in the cost of their work.
AI's stuff is CNC'd, Lloyd's is hand ported. I would expect a greater degree of consistency and repeatability in the CNC heads.

Both outfits have very good reputations and I wouldn't try to talk you out of either.

Considering that the AI TFS head is only $300 more than the out-of-the-box price you quoted for the 195cc TFS head, I'd consider going with the AI CNC'd TFS head a no-brainer.
Yeah, summed it all up. TFS ported is exactly what I would do.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AI costs more because it uses CNC porting, this results in a higher level of repeatability like others have posted. Also because of this the company also has more overhead to cover.

Look up the cost of a quality 5 axis vertical CNC mill and CAM software and you'll understand where the extra money is getting spent. This is also not to mention cost of tool holders, coolant, grease/waylube, air, electricty, shop hours for programming, etc.

Compare this to the cost of a quality manual mill, air tools, and a rotary tool and you'll see why there is a price difference.

If you don't feel like adding it up yourself there's at minimum around $150,000 to $200,000 difference in start up costs between the two. The 5 axis vertical CNC mill is around 10x the cost of a manual mill, and the CAM software around $10-15k, just some food for thought.

Last edited by myltwon; 08-10-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

and software gets updated$$$$$$ and the machine needs repairs$$$$$, and the equipment AI uses is a lot more expensive than basic startup.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Originally Posted by myltwon
AI costs more because it uses CNC porting, this results in a higher level of repeatability like others have posted. Also because of this the company also has more overhead to cover.

Look up the cost of a quality 5 axis vertical CNC mill and CAM software and you'll understand where the extra money is getting spent. This is also not to mention cost of tool holders, coolant, grease/waylube, air, electricty, shop hours for programming, etc.

Compare this to the cost of a quality manual mill, air tools, and a rotary tool and you'll see why there is a price difference.

If you don't feel like adding it up yourself there's at minimum around $150,000 to $200,000 difference in start up costs between the two. The 5 axis vertical CNC mill is around 10x the cost of a manual mill, and the CAM software around $10-15k, just some food for thought.
I would guess the fancy CNC is still getting its cutting paths and what not from a hand ported head that was then traced in the CNC.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

A hand ported head that can have a substantial amount of time put into it. Stop pretending it is a copy of "just a hand ported head".
Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A hand ported head that can have a substantial amount of time put into it......
And a WHOLE LOT of trial and error.

KW
Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
LE's are hand ported and he uses lesser quality valve train parts. Not saying they are junk but the price reflects the quality as many people have had great luck with them. AI is completely CNC machined top notch work with very good quality parts.
Lesser quality parts...could you please enlighten us?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Cough cough nextek springs cough

LE reuses the junk TFS springs on those heads
Old 08-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A hand ported head that can have a substantial amount of time put into it. Stop pretending it is a copy of "just a hand ported head".
IDK how else to put it, a head is hand ported, traced, and then bam you can recreate it time and time again with consistency and speed.

Like anything else NC related, garbage in, garbage out.

Don't pretend like you are getting a billet CNC head, its a glorified mass production tool in this aspect.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Volume hand porters knock out a PAIR of heads in a day or less.
A detail oriented individual might spend a week making the master. It isn't the same thing.

Quick Reply: Which aluminum heads?