LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 SS - back to stock?

Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeperZ96BT
While I agree, what will it cost me to acquire manifolds, a stock catted ypipe, an airbox assembly, stock shocks/springs, etc. versus the parts I mentioned? I mean if I **** away money isn't it incremental, if at all? I am into the parts I mentioned for less than $500.....if not close to $400.
I'm sure you could find manifolds and a stock y pipe on CL or junkyard dirt cheap for less than $100, the functioning ram air intake would probably be pretty hard to find and not cheap, probably $300-400+ if you can find one.....but I personally would not buy any SLP car with the Ram air intake ripped out and replace with a CAI....that's just wrong IMO unless it's a hardcore race car. Why do you need new shocks and springs at only 50k? The Bilstein shocks on these cars last much longer in my experience than the crappy stock ones....my firehawk has nearly 170K on original Bilstein shocks/springs and rides very smooth.

Incremental pissing money simply doing it at a slower rate rather than all at once...you still end with a net loss.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

While I agree, what will it cost me to acquire manifolds, a stock catted ypipe, an airbox assembly, stock shocks/springs, etc. versus the parts I mentioned?
Alot. Especially in humility after you get beat by a new Ford Festiva, or Toyota Prius, or Nissan Leaf.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
I'm sure you could find manifolds and a stock y pipe on CL or junkyard dirt cheap for less than $100, the functioning ram air intake would probably be pretty hard to find and not cheap, probably $300-400+ if you can find one.....but I personally would not buy any SLP car with the Ram air intake ripped out and replace with a CAI....that's just wrong IMO unless it's a hardcore race car. Why do you need new shocks and springs at only 50k? The Bilstein shocks on these cars last much longer in my experience than the crappy stock ones....my firehawk has nearly 170K on original Bilstein shocks/springs and rides very smooth.

Incremental pissing money simply doing it at a slower rate rather than all at once...you still end with a net loss.
Prior owner replaced the shocks/springs.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prior owner replaced the shocks/springs.
^What an idiot! Those aren't cheap to replace, over $800 new: http://www.slponline.com/category/Ca...omponents.html

I dunno, by the time you get all the SLP parts back on it you will have spent well over $1000 in just getting it stock-like. Will future owner pay over a $1000 premium vs a Z28 for it to make it worthwhile? Who knows...

I would just do what you want with it with the modding since you have a bunch of missing SLP parts... let the future owner worry about putting it back stock if that's what they want...
Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
^What an idiot! Those aren't cheap to replace, over $800 new: http://www.slponline.com/category/Ca...omponents.html
Level II was an option. Plus:

I don't believe that this a well optioned SS, so I don't think it had the upgraded suspension, etc.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree about the LT1SS not ever being worth anything. I am 41 and remember when we all thought the same thing about 1970 and newer Camaros and any model Nova. Bought several for less than $500 back then....some just for the rearends or to build cheap drag cars. Sold all of them cheap too. Try to find a decent 70-73 Camaro now without paying a premium......or a 68-72 Nova. No one wanted them back then. It will be like that with any decent LT1 F-body in another 10 years or so....with the SS & WS6 cars commanding more money.
All that being said, I wouldn't buy or build one as an investment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 SS - back to stock?