LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

this is an lt1 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question this is an lt1 question

so i have a 96 trans am lt1 car car was running fine then all of a sudden my oil pressure gauge stopped working now im not getting fuel any advise
Old 11-07-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The oil pressure sending units are know to be trouble prone. And, if I recall correctly, they're wired into the ignition circuit, so if the pressure drops to zero, the engine will "save itself" by shutting off. Try replacing the sending unit....
Old 11-07-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The oil pressure sending units are know to be trouble prone. And, if I recall correctly, they're wired into the ignition circuit, so if the pressure drops to zero, the engine will "save itself" by shutting off. Try replacing the sending unit....
The oil pressure sensor on Fbodys run straight to the dash gauge. It has no effect on the pcm.

OP, hook up a mechanical gauge and confirm oil pressure. You'll need to troubleshoot the fuel issue separately.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
The oil pressure sensor on Fbodys run straight to the dash gauge. It has no effect on the pcm.

OP, hook up a mechanical gauge and confirm oil pressure. You'll need to troubleshoot the fuel issue separately.
You are only part correct. IF you have a three wire oil pressure sensor, the center wire goes straight to the dash that is correct. But there 2 more wires, this circuit has to be closed to keep the fuel pump operating. it is as you say a safety issue, but for roll over or flip up on the side protection. When the oil can’t get to the pickup, a lot of fires were started because of the motor not shutting down. Generally if you lose oil pressure the motor Is toast anyway, at least all of mine were gone