LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water pump woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump woes

Well about 6 weeks and 250 miles ago I noticed my car was leaking some coolant. Turned out it was coming from the waterpump to block seal on the passenger side. So I said screw it. Ordered an acdelco pump from Amazon, changed the water pump, drive seal and the opti seal. All was good, or so I thought.

There's snow the ground here so I started my pace setter long tube install today. Crawled under the car too see some orange (dexcool colored) foam surrounding the weep whole, FML! Only maybe driven the car 2-300 miles since the new pump has been on. Needless to say I'm pissed, didn't really wanna mess with the cooling system again.

You guys think the pump seal was defective? Or is there any chance in hell it was just a little break in hiccup on the new pump? At least I won't be bored this winter.

Thanks

Amazon.com: ACDelco 252-701 Professional Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 252-701 Professional Water Pump: Automotive

Old 11-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my question is should I pull the pump and bitch to Amazon and make me send me a new one, or should I just wait till I can run the car again and see if it leaks. Right now I can't run the car because she's torn apart for the headers.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It is not totally uncommon for a little seepage before the shaft gets lapped in. I'd watch it for a bit and see what it does. If it continues to leak, you'll have to change it. From what I understand, the "professional" series are rebuilt. They also offer new at a higher cost.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

you can buy a "new" WP for the same $99 you spent on the reman at most chain auto part stores. With that said they are both made offshore and boxed under various store brands...including AC Delco

I have had short lived original dealer installed AC Delco WP's leak in as little as 500 mi back when my 96 was still under new car warranty. when my 3 year warranty expired and the then new AC Delco WP was weeping I replaced it with a Meziere EWP. That was 17 years ago and 90k+ miles on it...YMMV

Needless to say I have had no weeping WP's since

Quick Reply: Water pump woes