LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant issues lt1 i need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

My guess is the coolant system was never bled correctly and you have air pockets somewhere. Other than reverse cooling and reservoir hoses being in the wrong place, what you initially described is textbook air in the coolant system.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
My guess is the coolant system was never bled correctly and you have air pockets somewhere. Other than reverse cooling and reservoir hoses being in the wrong place, what you initially described is textbook air in the coolant system.
I assumed the OP bled it correctly. Good point.

OP, how did you bleed the system? A clogged radiator should show high temps at low rpms too.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
I assumed the OP bled it correctly. Good point.

OP, how did you bleed the system? A clogged radiator should show high temps at low rpms too.
Alright so talked to another fbody friend and he said about bleeding the system as well
I never physically bled the system ? When my body guy did the radiator that was it I assumed he did it but how do I go about bleeding the system??
Old 12-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Teching In

OK so talked to the body shop and the cooling system was never bled after he installed the radiator. Lol fml
Old 12-30-2015, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ajsSS
OK so talked to the body shop and the cooling system was never bled after he installed the radiator. Lol fml
Go to shbox.com and look for the coolant bleed procedure. That should fix it.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Go to shbox.com and look for the coolant bleed procedure. That should fix it.
Gonna have a fbody shop down the street bleed the system for me while im at work. Ill let u guys know what's up! Car drove completely fine tonight just kept it at 2500 on the fwy. And earlier today ran errands at work and drove it home no problems but tomorrow we will see what happens. Now I remember why I love my 02 ws6 so much. Lol
Old 01-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Seriously?
Seriously. Very curious.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Seriously. Very curious.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Spline is worn and you lose drive connection. There is no slip and re-engage is what I was getting at. A spline is there, or its not.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Spline is worn and you lose drive connection. There is no slip and re-engage is what I was getting at. A spline is there, or its not.
Actually there is. Ask me how I know.....I've experienced this first hand. Have you? Apparently not. A great example is that of a rounded off bolt. The socket will grab up to a certain amount of torque, then slip. Make sense yet?

There is not suddenly no connection at all, it wears, then slips a little at high torque, wears more, slips more with less torque, wears more, then slips more with little torque, wears more, then doesn't grab at all.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Man-Crush Warning

I stayed a night at a holiday express once.

A spline is there or its not, and the time it takes to go from worn diameter to lost tooth to failed spline is fairly quick.

What you are describing is more of a traction device, the friction between parts are keeping rotation up.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 01-05-2016, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

I stayed a night at a holiday express once.

A spline is there or its not, and the time it takes to go from worn diameter to lost tooth to failed spline is fairly quick.

What you are describing is more of a traction device, the friction between parts are keeping rotation up.
That depends if the spline drive has a designed fail point like some aircraft do. The LT1 does not, its steel on steel. That makes it wear, slip, wear, slip more, wear more, slip more, wear more, slip always. It's gradual. It doesn't happen over the course of a few moments, it takes time. And gets progressively worse as the wear increases.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Man-Crush Warning

That depends if the spline drive has a designed fail point like some aircraft do. The LT1 does not, its steel on steel. That makes it wear, slip, wear, slip more, wear more, slip more, wear more, slip always. It's gradual. It doesn't happen over the course of a few moments, it takes time. And gets progressively worse as the wear increases.
I can show you splines that failed within hours once they wore down enough to break teeth.

Regardless, its semantics, a spline is no longer a spline if its not engaged due to wear. You are relying on traction to transmit rotation not teeth loading.

A spline face load will slip across the mate but the overall pitch diameter cannot "slip" within the female.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

I can show you splines that failed within hours once they wore down enough to break teeth.

Regardless, its semantics, a spline is no longer a spline if its not engaged due to wear. You are relying on traction to transmit rotation not teeth loading.

A spline face load will slip across the mate but the overall pitch diameter cannot "slip" within the female.

Semantics, sure. But you're saying a bolt isn't a bolt if the corners are rounded a bit..... Not true.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

EITHER WAY, bleed it, if that doesn't work, pull the pump and inspect. The way I bleed it after having the radiator off, right or wrong, is fill it with the bleeder loose on the pump, close bleeder, run car, squeeze driver side hose, if squishy and not hot, keep squeezing it hard a lot, dumping more coolant into the radiator, pumping bubbles out as you squeeze, then it'll finally get hard and hot, top it off, once everything is hard and hot, water is moving. Sometimes I have to loosen the driver side hose at the pump and wiggle it to get the air out of that hose if squeezing isn't doing it.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Semantics, sure. But you're saying a bolt isn't a bolt if the corners are rounded a bit..... Not true.
A bolt is not a spline. A bolt head transmits torque via point loading, a spline is via face loads.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

A bolt is not a spline. A bolt head transmits torque via point loading, a spline is via face loads.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Are you saying they are the same?

I'm confused
Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Are you saying they are the same?

I'm confused
I'm saying this discussion isn't worth having. You obviously want to argue that you're right; when it fails, it fails spectacularly and completely. What is technically a spline or not (BTW, if it was a spline and became worn, it's still a spline, just a worn one). I don't want to argue with you anymore, I'll take my facts and history (what has actually happened) and leave you to your "reality".

Quick Reply: Coolant issues lt1 i need help