LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

dumb iat question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dumb iat question??

i see alot of people relocating the iat....and metion kits they buy....can u just split the wires and move the iat down further??? sorry just wondering if this is one of those simple mods that can cost u alot when it can be down for a couple of dollars....like the tb bypass.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actualy i have never even seen anything about moving the iat. Intake air temp sensor. Is this the one your talking about. What is the benefit of moving it. Move it further away from the motor so you get a cooler reading. ???? Can some one fill me in
Old 06-15-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I've seen it done. I haven't done it. I usually don't fool with little stuff like that. I haven't even done the coolant bypass mod. I think I heard someone say that if you move it further away from the motor it will read cooler and give you more timing. I often wonder if those damn sensors do anything. The one car I saw, the guy had just lengthened the wiring and put the IAT in a hole he had made on the rubber collar of his cone air filter. A little RTV to seal it off. Did it accomplish anything? Who knows. I've seen a couple guys take the IAT out and put nitrous nozzles in it's place. One guy ran a bone stock motor with a 150 shot w/ the nozzle in the IAT hole and slicks and ran a 7.84 in the 1/8th @ 86 mph. If the IAT missing hurt, didn't seem to be much.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

i wanted to do it because its not a big thing and never heard bad news about it.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

As long as the splice is a good one there should be no ill effects to it....If it isn't (soldered/butt connected) well enough it could get a bad reading which will make it show hot and will actually retard timing.. The cooler the reading on the IAT the more timing it adds to the motor (up to a certain point)...
Old 07-03-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, if the connection gets broken you will NOT get a hot reading. The IAT will send a reading to the PCM of - 40* and the car will think it's Iceland cold outside. Been there, dealt with that one.

Quick Reply: dumb iat question??