LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

T56 swap wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 swap wiring

So I'm coming to the point of my huge winter project. I'd like to personally thank everyone who has helped me along the way. But now I've reached another problem, more like an option really.

I swapped my 96 trans am a 4 to a t56. I need to figure out the wiring. I have the A4 harness out of the car, but I also have a 96 t56 harness from a formula. Can I just swap in the M6 harness and be good to go on things like reverse lockout, VSS, SKIP SHIFT (it'll be tuned out but if the connector is there might as well hook it up), and maybe reverse lights (I'm thinking I'll still have to rewire thus from the A4 conector?

I know I'll have to move the brake switch and wire the hatch and the clutch switch. I guess what I'm asking is will this other harness be plug and play? I don't want to have to rep in the connectors in either harness or the body.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing an M6 harness would make work is VSS, reverse lockout, and CAGS. It will not make the reverse lights work. FYI, the 96 A4 and M6 VSS connector is exactly the same.

You would still have to wire up the clutch start switch, cruise cancel switch, reverse lights, and hatch release inside the car. For the amount of work and money involved, it's much easier to just splice new connectors to the A4 harness.

And don't just connect the orange and black wires for the hatch release, it's incorrect. Yes it will work, but your hatch will be able to be released while the car is moving. The right way is to wire it to the E-brake handle, like GM did.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'll look more into the hatch issue. There'd be no more time and money involved in swapping harnesses. My swap kit came with the harness. So it seems like it would be easier to swap. But what I don't wanna do is run into problem where the harness connects in the car or the connectors on the strut tower? Are both harnesses pinned the same?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If both harnesses are from a 96, then there is no issue. It is a direct swap.

Quick Reply: T56 swap wiring