LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MAF Issue

Old 04-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Issue

So been battling my MAF for awhile now.

Bought a duralast maf (I know, dumb decision) and a duralast connector. Kept throwing trouble code.

Got old original factory MAF from storage last night and got the bright idea to sand off corrosion on the big wires that run across the sensor (Careful not to touch the little sensor wires or whatever they are).

Switched it out, no trouble code!

Everytime I drive, when the car gets pretty hot (15 minutes of slow traffic). The car like bugs out and hiccups for maybe 10 seconds, the SES light then comes on, then the car runs fine again and no more bugging out occurs. Once I scan it again, code 48 for the MAF!!!???

Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

of course my first thought is a wiring issue, sometimes with the shitty thin wires that gm used, intermittent heat related problems can happen.

i'd be tempted to bypass all three wires to the maf, running ground directly to engine block, power from the fuse block, and the signal wire, i'd run a new wire to the ECM and splice 'er in there. should only take a few minutes. then see if the problem still happens.

if it does, either both mafs are bad, or you have something crazy going on. datalog might help, see if the maf actually drops out, or noise, or what. maybe you'd see a pattern.

since i don't use mafs anymore, i have several good used MAFs that have been tested properly. you could have one for like 50 bucks plus shipping if it helps. just throwin' it out there.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a used GM perfectly working MAF I'll sell for $50 plus shipping. MAF's can be picky, and I have heard aftermarket ones have given people some issues.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo_

i'd be tempted to bypass all three wires to the maf,
Ill try it! Do you think the connector might play a cause? Its duralast as well. I figured it cant be it because the functionality of a connector but..?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill try it! Do you think the connector might play a cause? Its duralast as well.
i really doubt it. if so you should be able to wiggle it and make it fail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAF Issue