LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is a good price for ac compressor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is a good price for ac compressor replacement?

I've got a friend that is replacing my ac compressor because I'm clueless about ac systems. He's the type of guy that would be happy with parts money, but I want to pay him something. What is the typical cost of something like that? If I ask he will say something stupid like $10 bucks. But, hes taking time from his family and I think he could use the money right now. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Critt3r
I've got a friend that is replacing my ac compressor because I'm clueless about ac systems. He's the type of guy that would be happy with parts money, but I want to pay him something. What is the typical cost of something like that? If I ask he will say something stupid like $10 bucks. But, hes taking time from his family and I think he could use the money right now. Thanks in advance.
Last time I had a shop replace the ac with a unit I supplied it cost $400. That was in 2010.

I now do all my own AC and friends. I charge a case of beer and parts/supplies. Lol.

Not sure about your area, but Wal-Mart has r134a for $4.88 a 12oz can. That's a steal!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Replacing the AC compressor on an LT1 is no easy task, lol. I hope he knows what he is in for.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You can get aftermarket for somewhere in the $250 range, IIRC. Replace the accumulator. Get some a/c line cleaner. Separate the lines and run the cleaner through the lines, condenser and evaporator individually. Don't run it through the accumulator especially if you buy new. Blow the cleaner out with compressed air.
If you don't already have the old compressor off, it can be tricky, but is doable even with the swaybar in place. You will have to take the serpentine belt and tensioner pulley off. Remember, there is also a mount on the rear of the compressor that bolts to the block. A 1/4 ratchet will fit in there to get the bolt off as long as it's not torqued or rusted to kingdom come. In order to get the compressor out you'll have to come up with some creative angles to get it out, but it can be done.

Shbox is my LT1 hero.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly why I installed a new one when I had the k member dropped. Just to avoid having to do it in the car. I would suggest buying a quality compressor, no cheapies, as it is a pain to change.

Quick Reply: What is a good price for ac compressor replacement?