LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issues

My son's 1995 Camaro Z-28 (LT1 / 6-speed) has recently developed some starting issues. Last winter whenever he did a lot of stop and go driving his Z-28 would start hard sometimes. The starter was old and weak so we replaced it with a high torque mini starter (power master 9502, from Summit Racing). One day we will go with headers.

I now have an intermediate starting issue that seems to be happening more often. Sometimes it will not start but yet I can hear the starter click (just 1 click). So the starter is getting fire. the battery is new and has plenty of voltage. Brand new positive and negative battery cables with clean connections. Has occurred with both old and new ignition keys. There is no particular situation that causes the no start problem such as weather, heat, morning, day or night.

Checking some of my previous post I noticed that my son's Camaro still has the same annoying problem from when he bought it almost 3 years ago. The door chime (the one for key still in the ignition or lights still on) still chimes even after the key has been pulled from the ignition.The A/C will stay running even after turning off the ignition. Sometimes I can make it stop by wiggling the ignition. Once the door is opened and closed the chime and A/C will turn off.

Any advice on where to start checking next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Starting Issues