LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor mount play?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount play?

I put my new motor back onto the k-member last night and am using my old poly urethane energy suspension motor mounts and I shook the motor and it moved a lot. I would say an inch or two I could move it. That doesn't seem normal to me, how much should I be able to move it? I plan on double checking it this weekend it was just late when I was working on this.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If you're using the poly mounts you used the stock clam shells and those are held together with bolts? If so, have you checked to make sure the bolts on the shells are tight?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If you're using the poly mounts you used the stock clam shells and those are held together with bolts? If so, have you checked to make sure the bolts on the shells are tight?
It was the passanger side one that was mounted on the kmember so I assumed it was tight since it was fine when I pulled it out of the car. I will check it again this weekend and update.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

I checked it out and everything is tight and I realized there is no side to side movement. When I was trying to move the motor it was front to back motion, I am guessing that is fine since the trans mount will make that nice and solid.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

That can be normal. Just don't let the mounts take the entire load of the engine if the trans cross brace is off. Not good for them. There won't be side/side motion regardless because the mounts have tabs that rest in slots on the brackets.

Quick Reply: Motor mount play?