LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark plug sleeves to small

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug sleeves to small

So I ordered some JEGs spark plug sleeves to throw on my MSD wires but they are to tight, there is a little washer in there or something. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd throw them away or return them for a refund. No reason to use sleeves on anything plug wire related if they are routed correctly. Do you have some boots that are too close to the exhaust? If so, which ones?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I'd throw them away or return them for a refund. No reason to use sleeves on anything plug wire related if they are routed correctly. Do you have some boots that are too close to the exhaust? If so, which ones?
I called up JEG's and they said they don't fit MSD or Taylor wires. The only reason I got them was for a cheap insurance policy since I have burned a few wires in the past. I will be routing them this weekend.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

As long as there's a gap between exhaust and boots/wires you'll be fine. It's when things come into contact you start burning wires. Putting sleeves on leaves less space for the wire path and more chances of coming into contact. Do you still have the stamped rails bolted to the side of the block? Makes routing wires far easier than if they weren't there.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
As long as there's a gap between exhaust and boots/wires you'll be fine. It's when things come into contact you start burning wires. Putting sleeves on leaves less space for the wire path and more chances of coming into contact. Do you still have the stamped rails bolted to the side of the block? Makes routing wires far easier than if they weren't there.
I am pretty sure they aren't there. Since the motor is out of the car it should be pretty easy to route them properly this time!

Quick Reply: Spark plug sleeves to small