LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hurray! Another no start thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hurray! Another no start thread.

Backstory: Late last year I forgot to put a plug wire on after pulling a plug. It struggled to start but did and I pulled it a few feet into the garage where I saw my mistake, plugged it back in, started it up and all seemed fine. Few weeks later it struggles to start for the rest of the year ONLY when cold. If started after driving for a while it fires right up.

Put away for storage during the winter and it wont start this spring.

Testing I've done so far point to ignition.

-I have a fuel pressure gauge and all seems good, plugs get wet when I peddle it while starting.
-Noid light on #3 injector flashes but not what I would call a strong flash. I did all injecors in the spring to rule out my Versafueler.
-Coil with wire off starts orange but goes to a blue spark as you continue cranking.
-#3 spark plug wire gets spark but not a strong blue, more orange.
-Screw driver in #2 plug wire gives nothing when grounded. Put in new plug in wire and after a few cranks a small blue spark showed.

So I started doing the diagnostic from:
http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/

When I reach this step ".next test for a pulsing ground at the dark green wire(96-97) or the White/black wire (93-95) at the coil coming from the ICM. Do you have a pulsing ground?

Yes, next step
No Replace the ICM *note, I have seen a bad coil burn up an ICM. It might be a good time to replace or upgrade your coil*

next with your test light check for hot on the Pink wire at the coil. do you have hot?
Yes, Replace your coil *note, High resistance from bad plug wires can burn out coils. You can Ohm test plug wires or replace them if wanted*"

The part in bold has me confused. I am not getting a pulsing ground on the white/black or hot on the pink. I did this with the connector UNPLUGGED and not plugged and piercing the wire but volt meter on the metal of the male part of the connector.

My question (after all that) is this the way to test these wires or should the connector be plugged into the coil and wires pierced. All the other testing I've done to this point was just at the connector, unplugged.
I do have an ignition box but it has been bypassed for all of this.
GM Opti and ICM as well as MSD coil are 5 years old and maybe 3000 miles on them.

Last edited by Purple Poncho; 09-14-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad opti rotor or bearing.. Bad coil.. Cracked spark plug.. Bad icm.. Fuel pressure.. Could be any of those..
Old 09-14-2016, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

So looking at this:

I checked the under hood 10A fuse and it was blown. The car didn't start but I have hot on the pink wire but still no pulsing on the white/black. I'm going to swap in my old ICM tomorrow and see what happens. It couldn't be as easy as a simple fuse...pffft LT1.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well **** me. Digging around I see this pic:

The POS shop butchered the ignition box. I put it as it is in the pic and the car fired up. I've only been chasing this for a month. And on top of it all it looks like my ignition box is not dead after all!
It doesn't happen often but the Lt1 gods were looking down on me today.

Quick Reply: Hurray! Another no start thread.