LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blue loctite for engine internals?

Old 12-02-2016, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Blue loctite for engine internals?

I put blue loctite on my cam retainer bolts, cam sprocket bolts, oil pump gear drive bolt, and arp rocker studs. I read that it is only good for up to 300 degree temps. A guy told me i should have used high temp red because it is good for 450 degrees and that the blue loctite will liquefy in my motor and be useless. Anyone have blue loctite hold up on rocker studs and cam bolts???? Def dont feel like tearing stuff back apart. I torqued everything to spec, if not a tad tighter.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue loctite should be fine for bolts.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not worry about it. I my opinion red is overkill for internal engine parts. Red is designed for permanent assembly. Also none of those parts should see 300 deg F or your engine is probably toast.

May want to put thread sealant on your intake rocker studs if the holes poke through into the intake passages.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The only place internally I've seen loctite recommended is on the cam gear bolts(holding the gear on the cam). Other than that location, I would not use any loctite. Just be sure and torque all the internal/external bolts to the recommended torque values with a torque wrench and you should be fine....and of course use thread sealant on the head and water pump bolts. I recommend and use Permatex high temperature thread sealant.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE1252
The only place internally I've seen loctite recommended is on the cam gear bolts(holding the gear on the cam). Other than that location, I would not use any loctite. Just be sure and torque all the internal/external bolts to the recommended torque values with a torque wrench and you should be fine....and of course use thread sealant on the head and water pump bolts. I recommend and use Permatex high temperature thread sealant.
I agree......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue loctite for engine internals?