LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Comp 850 lifter is spongy.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Comp 850 lifter is spongy.

Setting my valve lash to zero last night and then turning them 3/4 of a turn and locking the poly locks i noticed my #7 cylinder intake valve lifter is easier to plunge down than the rest.
The lifters are brand new. They were cleaned and oiled before install. Is it normal to feel diff spring tension on some lifters ? It almost feels spongy but has enough tension to keep the pushrod from spinning at zero lash. Spring just feels weaker than the rest of the lifters. Will this cure itself once the engine is ran and they pump up with oil?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Some of them may have more oil in the bodies than others. Since they are not pumped up all you are feeling is the spring tension to keep the plunger in place before the lifter has been filled with oil/pumped up with pressure. Don't worry about it. Just make sure when finding zero lash you pay attention to where the slack ends with the PR.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

350, IMHO if you are using the "spin until you feel resistance or the PR stops spinning altogether"...you passed "zero" lash a mile ago.

My $.02 is, using fingers, tighten the poly lock until there is no more "up/down" movement of the PR. That is zero lash. 3/4 turn from there is what I do. I also have 850 lifters.

Like SSR notes, the lifter in ? likely has not as much oil in it. They all pump up with motor running.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, i was freaking out last night. I went out and checked it today and its got its normal spring tension back lol. All is good. I adjusted the valve lash twice to make sure i got it right and for the practice since this is my first time. I did a magic marker on the rocker nut and it lined up at zero lash everytime the second time i set the lash. Just wanted to make sure i did it right. I used the EOIC method, one cylinder at a time.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

If I can, I always adjust the rockers with the intake off. That way I can make sure the plunger is not compressed at all when I set zero lash....which with a poly lock is a breeze. It also allows you to see where the lifter is on the cam(going up or down)....but the pushrod on the lifter should do the same thing as long as it's not hanging on anything.

However, for many cases, it just doesn't make sense to pull the intake to adjust the rockers. So my method is kind of restrictive. The day I have to adjust them with the intake on, will be more of a challenge for me.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i adjusted them with the intake on. I always checked to make sure the pushrods were fully seated in the lifter cup. This was my first time adjusting lash on a v8. Turns out i did it right. I marked the rocker nuts with a black marker line at 9 o clock once i found zero lash then turned the nut around to 6 o clock for a 3/4 of a turn setting. I then loosened all the poly locks and nuts rotated engine and redid my lash a few days later for practice and all my lines lined right back up at 9 o clock at zero lash. Gives ya security that you adjusted them right when you do it a 2nd time and things still line up!

Quick Reply: Comp 850 lifter is spongy.