LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 no start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 no start.

Bought a stock 97 z28 two weekends ago. Last weekend, I dropped the engine and transmission out of it, and put in my h/c engine and mildly built trans from another 97 into it. Got done, and it started right up. Pulled it around from the front of our shop to the back storage part. Parked it, and unhooked the battery and let it sit this week until last night. Needed to move it back to the front, so I hooked up the battery, and it started right up, but then died after a few seconds (not the vats "few seconds", it sat there and idled for a good 5-10 seconds, plus my security light comes on with key then goes off). I go to restart it, and nothing. No fuel pump prime, no crank, no starter click. Only thing working is all the lights. Checked all my grounds, fuses, swapped pcm's with an extra I had, and still nothing. Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a few seconds is 5-10 seconds. How did you rule out VATS?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Typically when vats cuts injectors, the car will only run 1-2 seconds in my experience. I haven't ruled out vats completely, but it's not first on my list because the car started fine last weekend when I moved it, and started fine last night until it died. Also, the fuel pump isn't priming at all, which isn't a symptom of vats, so that leads me to believe it's a different problem. Those reasons combined with properly functioning security light, have me not leaning towards vats right now
Old 08-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Sounds like an electrical issue check all the wires again and make sure the battery is good and the cables are on tight. "No fuel pump prime, no crank, no starter click." should tell you that those areas are not getting any power and you need to find out why.

Also VATS can also not allow you to start the motor at all. You turn the key and nothing. Had a bad chip in my key but the fuse that gives the vats blinking alert on the dash blew or had been pulled out when I swapped steering wheels. I think the VATS alert shares the Airbag fuse so check that also. The first time it lets you start and then dies but after that I think it kills the system except for the lights.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Went over grounds again. They were all right but I took them off anyway, tried to clean them up a bit, and reconnected them. Car started, but I did have a charger on it for awhile so not sure if it was a ground, or just not enough juice in the battery initially to crank
Old 08-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

you can borrow my car for a while man

Quick Reply: Lt1 no start.