LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C compressor died in blaze of glory

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Default A/C compressor died in blaze of glory

I'm not even bummed, this thing survived for 23 years and worked perfectly until today. I got caught in some cold weather and had to use the defrost. It was working fine until about 20 minutes later when I was on the freeway and the engine died after I pushed the clutch in to down shift. Got it started again right away and made it to a stop light where I saw the engine was surging at idle. Made it to my side street and it started to sound like a loud blow dryer was under the hood and it smelled like something was way too hot. Got it parked and opened the hood and there was a plume of smoke coming from the A/C compressor. I let it cool down for a few minutes and started the engine with the defrost off and it ran just fine with no noises or smoke.

How common is it for just the clutch to go out? Does anyone have a part number that they recommend? Or should I just find the part with the best warranty?

Last edited by AdsoYo; 09-24-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdsoYo
I'm not even bummed, this thing survived for 23 years and worked perfectly until today. I got caught in some cold weather and had to use the defrost. It was working fine until about 20 minutes later when I was on the freeway and the engine died after I pushed the clutch in to down shift. Got it started again right away and made it to a stop light where I saw the engine was surging at idle. Made it to my side street and it started to sound like a loud blow dryer was under the hood and it smelled like something was way too hot. Got it parked and opened the hood and there was a plume of smoke coming from the A/C compressor. I let it cool down for a few minutes and started the engine with the defrost off and it ran just fine with no noises or smoke.

How common is it for just the clutch to go out? Does anyone have a part number that they recommend? Or should I just find the part with the best warranty?

&
if you car is 23 years old its a 1994 the part number is 1136535 for the compressor, 6581043 for the clutch. Or just go to your local ac repair they will know what to do
Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Love the blingdiggity A/C Delco alternator. I have one myself. Really brings out the shine.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's the one clean shiny thing in a sea of turd haha
Old 10-25-2017, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I took the belt off and tried to spin the clutch and it is seized. That means the compressor itself is busted and not the clutch right? Either way it looks like not only do I need a new compressor but it would be smart to replace the condenser and accumulator due to bits of metal that have most likely regurgitated out of the compressor when it died. While shopping for a new compressor, I noticed there are HD6 and H6 compressors, which one is correct and what's the difference?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a compressor in a 99 truck, not sure on the differences in the part number difference.

If you locked up the compressor I would replace the expansion valve and the accumulator if you want to keep the warranty on the new compressor. The compressor needs to be filled with compressor oil and will need to be spun by hand so you don't start the motor with liquid in the compressor. Then hopefully you have a friend with a AC manifold gauge.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I ordered a Denso compressor and expansion valve and some no-name accumulator from Rock Auto. Also getting a lifetime warranty condenser from local auto parts store. Didn't think I'd be spending this much on A/C parts this year.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor died in blaze of glory