LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel pump prime / cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
What about moving the needle on the actual gauge?
IDK...never did that. Don't know if the needle is "keyed" to only go on one way.

I only replaced the pump itself (not entire assembly) on my Impala. I have replaced entire pump assembly on my other Chevy and gauge/needle worked correctly.

The float lever moves a arm along copper windings which change resistance as that lever moves with the gas level. That signal is sent to gage. I have heard of people replacing pump assemblies and having gage then not read either full or past full

I believe making slight bend adjustments in the float rod can bring the new assembly movement closer to matching so gage reads as it should

Try a google search for aftermarket fuel gage calibrators. I installed one years ago on my Impala to correct my gage but it was for my stock sending unit but I know some who put in new assemblies used it to adjust gages as like yours they were not reading correctly. The source I got mine from is no longer making them. It was a variable resistor I wired inline to my gage feed
Old 11-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
Also, is it normal to smell gas from the rear after it was just running?
No. Check your EVAP connections. There could also be something blocking the float from going its full range when the tank is full.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
No. Check your EVAP connections. There could also be something blocking the float from going its full range when the tank is full.
So I took it back for the gas smell, and they tell me one of the hoses was cracked so they replaced it.

Now -- the fuel door won't close all the way (the filler sleeve is sticking out and won't go any further since this repair).

I am thinking of 2 things -- 1) filler neck got bent; 2) tank is not reinstalled properly.

Any ideas? Obviously I am bringing it back for this fuel door issue but need some "ammunition" in case I am challenged or told "sorry but we can't get it any better".
Old 11-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

no you should not smell gas, there is likely a rubber seal where the fuel pump installed. If you smell fuel around the gas tank now especially if you didn't before then its leaking fuel. park car in a non-windy place like a garage and smell for fuel leaks.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The shop "readjusted" my filler neck -- how is that done safely?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

As long as it's not leaking fuel then you should be golden?

Quick Reply: fuel pump prime / cold start