LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The K&N Filtercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The K&N Filtercharger

I have a 1994 25th Anniversary Trans Am 6-speed. Will the K&N Filtercharger system actually give it 18 hp as showen in the dyno sheet that come with the system?

I also installed a Magnaflow Muffler, with little change in the exhaust tone. Will this also put put some extra horses?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

yes you will gain some HP with the cold air intake and a Free Flow exhaust.....but you need to divide x 2 (sometimes 3) on HP claims from manufacturer

The "muffler" alone won't make as much difference as a full CAT back exhaust

A better flowing intake and exhaust are the basics to any performance build and they help each other.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

actually at times divide the HP claims by 3 or 4, way back I did a bunch of bolt ons and the "Claims" would of added up to app 50 + HP, I sent the info into Hot Rod magazine and they replied about a 15 HP gain and that was at the peak RPM. Headers being the most. Unless your exhaust is really restrictive, then a muffler can make a difference, Back at the shop we had a car on the dyno and it had a spintech muffler, with no other changes a dyno max or magnaflow muffler was installed (I dont remember which) it was still strapped to the dyno, it picked up almost 20 HP..

Quick Reply: The K&N Filtercharger