LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 firehawk swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 firehawk swap

1993 firehawk swap
Hi there everybody, i am new to this forum and have some questions looking for some advice, well I inherit a 1993 firehawk automatic, the
engine engine
is seized overheated, any way I am looking at several options and the one that really got my attention was to buy a 1995 camaro which was in an accident but engineand
transmission transmission
are in good condition, this camaro is manualso I say why not do the swap to manual, what issues will i encounter with this swap, i understand the ecm on the 1993 firehawk does not
control control
the automatic transmission as it is not the 4l60e transmission from what i understand on 1993 models, if i install the manualtransmission from the 1995 camaro do I have to do any changes on wiring or ecm or anything else, besides the drivetrain and of course
clutch clutch
install, any advice, any issues i will encounter with this engine/transmission swap?
thank you
Old 12-16-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be easier to rebuild the '93 engine with a few upgrades. A good runner and reliable.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I believe the short blocks are the same for 93 & 95 LT1. If so you could swap short blocks and transfer everything else from the 93 motor over to the 95 short block. Would have to use the 93 timing cover and opti I believe

Use all the donor car clutch/hydraulics/pedals/FW/x-member

Given you would have a donor car...maybe by transferring over wiring harness and PCM you could use the whole 95 motor.

The 95 T56 would have a VSS for speedo so not sure how the 93 gets its speedo 411
Old 12-17-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a lot of small differences between 93 and other years so it is not a project I would undertake without knowledge of these cars and experience.

Off the top of my head on 93 the opti is different, computer is different, fuel injectors are different, oil sensor and maybe some others (knock sensor?) are in different spots, o2s are different, speedo gauge is different, fuel rails and intake are different, I think the alternator connector is different, etc. Add to that the 95 is a weird transition year with OBDII port but OBDI computer and you have a swap that might have a lot of little surprises along the way.

If you do go this route, take EVERYTHING from the 95...complete harness and motor with all sensors and accessories.

Easier route would be pull the 93 motor and have it rebuilt.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine

Thabk you after care consideration I think I will just stay with 1993 setup since it is more unique, I will mainly will be rebuilding engine and take it from there thank you everybody

Quick Reply: 93 firehawk swap