LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Modified Alternator bracket snapped mid rev

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Alternator bracket snapped mid rev

so I modified my alternator bracket years ago to clear up the engine bay and it just snapped today under was mid throttle right in front of my eyes. Why I have no clue but I’m wondering what folks suggest as for replacing it. I’d like to keep my power steering so I don’t know if I should just buy another bracket and modify it or if there are other options out there. Literally just got the car back up and running after a torqhead 24x coil/opti conversion. Please see the pics and let me know your thought. Car is a highly modified forged

355 LT1.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Stock accessory bracket had braces from alt back to engine/head from alternator which gave the accessory bracket support. If you cut down another one or fab up all new accessory bracket/mounts, add similar bracing from rear of bracket/accessory to head/block

I have seen regular stock brackets crack from built motors when those rear braces were removed (usually because of headers).
Old 04-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Yes, that part of the bracket is extremely vulnerable and is notorious for breakage. Usually at the top bolt hole area. Because of your valve covers it looks as though you can't use the upper. At the very least, use the lower brace that went from the alternator to one of the exhaust manifold/header bolts.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
At the very least, use the lower brace that went from the alternator to one of the exhaust manifold/header bolts.
This is what I did...

used the stock short one attaching to center rear of alt to the forward head exhaust bolt hole (not used with headers). Just bought a spacer to mimic the stock exhaust manifold set up

The one that goes to the #4 exhaust port bolt (need longer header bolt) came with my headers to replace the stock one that went there.

You could fab up something similar for rear accessory bracket bracing
Attached Thumbnails Modified Alternator bracket snapped mid rev-alt-bracket-1.jpg   Modified Alternator bracket snapped mid rev-alt-bracket-4.jpg   Modified Alternator bracket snapped mid rev-alt-bracket-6.jpg