LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

On my third alternator after EWP install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On my third alternator after EWP install

Recently installed a Meziere Heavy Duty Electric water pump. Pump is terrific, but my alternator died suspiciously soon after the install. (about 200 miles of driving) The alternator was old and i had noticed it did not charge that great even before the EWP so I assumed it just crapped out on its own accord.

So... I picked up an upgraded, 100% new, "American Assembled???" (it literally says made in China on the box), 145 amp unit from Hawks Motorsports. http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/alte...45-amp-lt1-v8/

I did not want to risk it with a reman, as they tend to have issues. Anyway, 60 miles later and this brand new alternator died. I am hopeful Hawks will help me out on this one, but ultimately is there something about my accessory setup that is causing this??? or is the addition of an EWP not something that should cause charging issues???

In BOTH scenarios it stopped charging the battery altogether at night, so I had an extra load on the system of my lights. Was I maxing the alternator out for an extended period of time and burning it out or something???

My fans run on High at all times because of my check engine light right now, could that plus lights plus an EWP be the perfect storm to cause repeated failures???

I would think with an upgraded unit like that I wouldn't have issues even with an EWP... Perhaps getting a decent alternator is a crap shoot anyway and this is to be expected. Thoughts welcome, I have a drift event in a week that I will be driving to and from and I do not want this to fail again.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

your fans alone, IIRC, are about 40 amps each. That + all lights could be pushing the output capability of the alt. The EWP is about a 7 amp draw and they typically cause no issues on an otherwise good charging system

Not saying your alts are not bad but I would fix the "why" the fans run all the time

I have had a EWP for 19 years now on my stock 135 amp alt

IDK what Hawks warranty is....many "chain" auto part stores offer "lifetime" warranty...most if not all are "offshore" made but for returns chain stores have their advantages and alt is typically an easy swap.

You may have other wiring issues causing a constant drain also
Old 04-07-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the charging wire from the back of the alt to the power distribution box and maybe replace it with a bigger gauge wire.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

There's definitely something else going on. I've had that same electric water pump for 7 years now and only replaced my alternator last year because the bearings were squeaking; it was still charging fine.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You need to find out what your trouble codes are. What is your battery gauge reading? Put a volt meter on the alternator. At idle it should be reading 14.2 to 14.7v steadily. If the reading fluctuates at all it’s bad. If the alternator is bad go on amazon and see if you can find an ac delco alternator. Made in mexico, but they have proven to be good replacements.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Default Update!!!

Called Hawks today and they are gonna send me another one. Good company for sure. They are covering everything.

I checked all my codes and all I have are EGR, EVAP, AIR, and SKIP SHIFT. I expect all of these as these are all the things I have deleted (and I don't have a tune yet). These are causing the Fans to permanetly stay on high, but they aren't harmful in any way. I will say i accidentally idled it a bit with that electric waterpump unplugged and coolant started boiling out of a hose connection in the heater system!!! Fortunately no harm was done otherwise.

After pulling the old alternator I could hear pieces of the windings shaking around, and a couple pieces of copper wire fell out of the alternator, so yeah it went bad. Definitely not my fault.

Hopefully third time is the charm. Ugh.

Since I cannot afford a tune yet, i am going to install a manual fan switch so I can give the charging system a break, and keep the car running at an optimal temp. With an EWP and Fans blasting on high that thing idles at 180 degrees, and I haven't even installed my double row aluminum radiator yet!