LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will not crank, will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not crank, will not start

I have an LT1, year unknown, in a 40 Ford. It has been starting and running fine. The other day I when to stat it, it fired and shut off. The check engine light came on and it showed 8.2 volts (Dakota Digital Gauges). Checked the battery it had 12.8 volts. Removed battery cable, installed battery cable, no change. I am also attempting to find the ECM, no luck, all wires go to the fuse block and the gauge control box. Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Find the wiring diagram and trace it out. 12 volts at the computer, starter and fuel pump.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

do you have a data port you can plug a scan tool into?

Your ECU may be ODB1 unless the donor car was a 96 which is OBD 2. The later you can get cheap OBD code readers but OBD1 you need a laptop and scan software like scan9495 (free) and a cable from laptop to data port

Since you know your volts are low and battery test good try metering battery when car is running. It should be 14.5+/-. Your alternator may be bad if the battery itself is good.

Your ECU could likely be buried up under the dash on the 40. Maybe under or behind the seat, its gotta be somewhere. Normally it would have 4 large multi pin connectors plugged into it. They would be color coded to correspond to the engraving on PCM (red, blue, black, clear)ECU (PCM) is about the size of a cigar box, ribbed metal.