LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Getting ERR98 at startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting ERR98 at startup

For the past few weeks my 95 LT1 M6 will sometimes crank and rev to 1500 and then just die. Usually it will fire up properly the next try and will drive fine, but a few times it's taken a few tries to start.

Also, twice it has started but has run extremely rough, like it's missing a few cylinders. One time it was able to run on its own but shook really bad, the other time it couldn't run without me giving it gas.

I finally data-logged it this morning at startup and on the first try it fired, revved to 1500, and then died. EE Hack showed a "ERR98: torque something something". The code only displayed while the engine was dying and then disappeared. On the second attempt it started up normally. The log is on my other computer, I can upload it later, it contains the correct error text.

I haven't been able to find any reference to ERR98 or DTC98. Does anyone have any idea what this means?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chronos
For the past few weeks my 95 LT1 M6 will sometimes crank and rev to 1500 and then just die. Usually it will fire up properly the next try and will drive fine, but a few times it's taken a few tries to start.

Also, twice it has started but has run extremely rough, like it's missing a few cylinders. One time it was able to run on its own but shook really bad, the other time it couldn't run without me giving it gas.

I finally data-logged it this morning at startup and on the first try it fired, revved to 1500, and then died. EE Hack showed a "ERR98: torque something something". The code only displayed while the engine was dying and then disappeared. On the second attempt it started up normally. The log is on my other computer, I can upload it later, it contains the correct error text.

I haven't been able to find any reference to ERR98 or DTC98. Does anyone have any idea what this means?
I just googled "eehack err98" and the first link said "Torque Delivered Circuit Fault" not sure what this means.... mine does this from time to time as well.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Yes, that is the error message I am getting.

It's now acting up in the mornings, and today it did it when I stopped to get gas. I've discovered that if hold the gas pedal down a bit then I can get it to keep running, and after about 30 seconds the RPMs will rise and then it will run smoothly. During that time it's struggling to run and is very rough, like half the cylinders aren't firing.

The FPR and fuel pump were recently replaced, but I don't think that is related, as it otherwise runs fine aside from the first 30 seconds.

I'm thinking it might be a fuel injector problem, like a few injectors aren't spraying until they are energized enough times and then they start working. Or maybe one injector is causing the computer to shutdown a bank and that is the cause of the ERR98? I don't know if that's like the old Quad Driver errors of other GM PCMs.

I'm not sure if I should just replace all the injectors or if there is another way to narrow down the issue.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

I checked all 8 injectors are they all 12.4 or 12.5 ohms. It seems like if it were an injector voltage problem it would throw a DTC 18.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Could low voltage during cranking be causing issues? When I attempted to datalog it, there was nothing recorded in EE Hack during the failed start. On the next attempt he ECM voltage drops to 7-8v briefly but then jumps up to 13.5v when the engine fires.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

So, just to add to the fun, it appears that my alternator has died.

I noticed the voltage was low this morning on my way to work so turned around and took the car home. Tonight when I checked it, the battery voltage was 12.4v with the key off, and it drops with the engine running. I left it running with the high beams, fan, and defogger on, and operated the power windows. The voltage kept dropping and eventually reached 8v. It actually dropped to 7.7v and set DTC 50 when the fan went to high speed.

I wonder if maybe the alternator is somehow related to the other problems, like maybe it was causing a voltage drop or something and that was the cause of the rough running/stalling.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Replacing the alternator seems to have solved this problem.