LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Airbag arming sensor under center console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag arming sensor under center console?

Good day all, long time lurker first time poster. I have a 1995 z 6 speed, this car is a weekend warrior/ drag build I'm am working on. I have done all basic bolt on's, long tubes, ory pipe, cat back, cai, tb bypass. I am now in the process of weight reduction while saving up more funds for my s60 rear end and suspension upgrades. I have taken off the entire a/c system, windshield washer tank, radio, speakers, rear seats, center console and all carpet and padding. My question is under the console right behind the shifter and e brake is the airbag arming sensor. Can I relocate this? Remove it? If I move it up under the dash will I cause problems? I want to clean up the wiring mess around my shifter and e brake and this sensor is the last thing I just don't know about. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

if you don't care about working airbags, you can remove it all day. Just make sure you've had the airbag fuse out for 30 minutes. Might as well remove the airbags themselves in that case and save some weight. Relocate? Not sure about that one. I don't know if there was a specific reason GM chose to put it under the center console.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove but the airbags will not work after that. I would not move it. Most airbag modules have a g meter in them and if its mounted in a different orientation it could go off for no reason.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

the center one is usually the inertial switch that detects the direction of the hit to decide which bags go off if you have one with all the side impact and such. If you relocate it,, it can't measure that as well..

I did one car where we just use a sheet of foam kinda like dyne-mat to cover it an then the car had a thin carpet liner that hid all the evils and kept it looking street-able.. the foam and carpet only weighed about 20 lbs for the whole car and it was way quieter..